using wood ash to raise ph of 15-5-15 cal mag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy

Reaction score
Will this cause any molecule binding or precipitate in fertlizer solution?

Last edited:
I talked to a biology professor at davis college about this, he said wood ash, not just charcoal, the white /grey burned wood remnants, contains calcium and magnesium and other minerals, a good way to raise ph

I think as a top dressing ag lime would work better, the wood ash dissolves in water

The real question is what makes you think the pH needs to be raised?

A low solution pH does not necessarily mean that the pH of the medium is that low.

My fertilizer solution ph is at 4.5 is probably why a roth I had just bloom only 1 flower amongst other problems I've noticed, I mixed in 1 tablespoon of ash per 5 gallon of solution put me at 6.0-6.5

For years, I was a firm believer in making sure the pH of my fertilizer solutions were in the 5.5-6.5 range, believing that was what the plants required, or at least preferred. Then I was taught that I was measuring the wrong thing.

The plant, the medium (except most LECAs), and the microorganisms that populate the rhizoshpere all affect the pH, and have a far greater effect than does the applied solution.

If you want to really know what the plant is experiencing, you really ought to try the pour-through test:
  • Water your plants thoroughly with your solution of choice.
  • Wait 30 minutes
  • Trickle about 50 ml of pure water over the surface of the medium, and collect the drainage for testing.
Based upon my own experience, I'd bet you see little, if any difference when using the two solutions.

Latest posts

Back