Using old orchid fert as ice melt?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open question to the group. The hardware store ran out of ice melt. Another grower mentioned using garden fertilizer instead as in his opinion.. it doesn’t hurt the concrete as much as ice melt, TBD. I have a few jars of old powdered orchid fertilizer, Does anyone have experience throwing a little fert down to melt ice? Thanks!

Quick look online showed different types of fert May have more or less damaging effect. Magnesium chloride works well and causes less damage. But the newer your concrete the more chems will go in . But a major concern was phosphorus and other ingredients getting into waterways and causing environmental problems (ie pig or chicken poop and Chesapeake bay)
If it’s an emergency then by all means use it. But maybe rinse off your concrete as soon as possible. Your plants next to the concrete will probably enjoy it 👍

Urea works, and it's cheap and usually readily available.

Your yard will smell like urine and the local dogs (and plants along the edges) will be thrilled, but it will work.

Several years back when the Geneseo NY area salt mines were shut down due to a collapse, it was all I could find.

Thanks, I’ve got some really old MSU mix that I plan to combine with some sand. I live in a townhome, the front steps are all I need to treat before whatever it is we will get in the next 24.

Urea works, and it's cheap and usually readily available.

Your yard will smell like urine and the local dogs (and plants along the edges) will be thrilled, but it will work.

Several years back when the Geneseo NY area salt mines were shut down due to a collapse, it was all I could find.

I treated last night with deicer, mixed the rest of what I had with sand and a healthy dose of K-lite (thanks Ray) I call it ‘K-, don’t slip’

A447F807-EE45-452B-9075-23FF31E3A1E6.jpeg

Back