upstate ladies and marl works +

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This last May, I joined Ken Hull, Chrissy and Clark and NYeric on a quest to see northern small yellow ladyslippers in an undisclosed location. There used to be a marl works near a pond and much of the old structure was still standing

these are pics from 2013 of around the marlworks building and nearby
marl513a.JPG

marl513b.JPG

marl513c.JPG

marl513d.JPG

marl513e.JPG

marl513f.JPG

marl513g.JPG

marl513h.JPG

interesting turtle near the orchids underwater

more tomorrow

Great - makes me want to take the car and drive up the mountains and have a long walk into nature!
Thanks for sharing.

It looks like a lovely place.. Those lady slippers just look wonderful.

That looks like a small snapping turtle. A cool species but they will bite your hand off when they get bigger.

video of our visit. let me know if the playback is jerky. i tried editing in a windows video editor... it is a little on my laptop but it's old

http://www.cnyos.org/exdisp/video/northyellow.mp4

Eric, Chrissy and Clark, please post some of your pics here if you like!

Charles, this video worked a lot better this time around for me. Question - is that area around the pond naturally treeless, or is it growing back after disturbance? Are the conifers eastern red cedar, Juniperus virginiana?

Lovely looking plants and I'm so happy to see them thriving in the wild.

Yw. The clear area is where the marl is so not much else grows. I had assumed the trees were northern white cedar but confess didn't look closely. They are usually in calcareous places but don't know if they are that far south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cyps. are lovely, but that stand of Columbine is fantastic. There are so many hybrid varieties around that
it's a bit hard to find native Columbine in this area.

Yes the columbine loves to grow on and around the limestone walls. Pretty nice seeing it on the window wells with the sun coming through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric, Chrissy and Clark, please post some of your pics here if you like!

I am outta town.
Thanks for the invitation.
Don't hold your breath, it will be a while.

Enjoyed your photos Charles. :)
Found a spiranthes today. It is surrounded by elephant flower. Cool beans how isolated it all is.

Latest posts

Back