update on p equestris albescens and others

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
at our orchid show last weekend (cnyos), a nice phal equestris albescens that I posted recently was well-received! it received a blue ribbon for best phal species in class, received two trophies for best amateur species grown and best in phal hybrid/species class. the judges pulled it for consideration of a possible award, but it was decided to not have enough flowers yet for that. a few thought it was possibly a coerulea form (though I knew it wasn't), but when they took it outside to view in the (sun)sic , they realized it was just pale lavender. I happened to be watching the aos judging as I was waiting for awarded plants so that I could take the aos awards photos. it was odd watching them trying to decide what color it was and other things like that and not be able to say anything about it. I knew it wasn't awardable, though it was nice that someone liked it that much! another judge, however wasn't overly impressed and couldn't quite tell what the other judge(s) were making a fuss over (lol). this plant almost received best amateur species two years ago and almost died after flowering itself to death. I brought it back to life and got it to make a basal keiki, which has made yet another and both have flowering spikes. a few other plants are in flower, and I took some snapshots that aren't exactly high-quality, but they are nice as well (Phal hieroglyphica and Oncidioda Kilauea 'Hawaii').
Clark also wanted to see my phrag kovachii x longifolium that is in spike, so I took a group pic of my phrag ebb/flood tank.

pealbescens1009.JPG

equestris albescens from oak hill

hieroglyphica1009.JPG

my hieroglyphica has one flower on it, need to move it towards some more light!

odontioda1009.JPG

I've checked the name of this a few times, but it seems that names keep changing. If it has a new one, please let me know... (Oncidioda Kilauea 'Hawaii') It flowered a few weeks ago with a few flowers, and a few this time. It perked up after I set it in my phrag tank for a few days where it got some epsom salts and fertilizer (plus more water; it's been a little dry this summer obviously). It does have a nice fragrance.

phragtank1009.JPG

in my east-facing bedroom window I have a small watering tank that periodically has water pumped into it, which drains out after a half-hour. from right to left the plants are: phrag Memoria Dick Clemens (christmas party raffle prize), phrag besseae flavum (in front probably can't see), phrag ?longifolium (original compot was labeled this, but someone else flowered a plant a few years back and someone said it looked like the infamous phrag tetzlaffianum. so, I'm calling it longifolium until I can get it to flower), phrag kovachii x longifolium, phrag kovachii x Eric Young, three phrag schlimii divisions of same plant (need moister media). the k x longifolium hybrid is the one in the middle with the spike

ignore the lovely windowsills, they will be sanded and painted soon..

oh; not to be left out, in the tank pic there is a phal with spotted leaves all the way to the left. it's my phal lindenii that has 'mendenhall' hcc/aos as a parent, and I was told that if it had had more than two flowers (at the very end of flowering) that it had definite award potential itself! I may already have a pic of it here somewhere and the flowers are old now. the phal is mounted on bark and I was 'flooding' it today

Great plants, Charles. All of them. I can hardly wait to see the kovachii x longifolium!

Last edited:
That spike makes smiling easy!
Please fill me in, will it have one or two flowers per spike? Or is it a repeater?
Thank you Charles.

That spike makes smiling easy!
Please fill me in, will it have one or two flowers per spike? Or is it a repeater?
Thank you Charles.

it looks like a first-time bloomer, and right now all I can tell is that there is at least one bud in the sheath. i'm resisting temptation to 'squeeze the charmin' to try and tell how many buds there might be as I've heard that just a little compression like that can damage the buds. the spike is extending fairly quickly, but if it gets fairly cool around here i'll likely turn the heat on in my room to try and keep it from stalling out

Really beautiful. Congrats on the great growing. I look forward to your phal pictures.

Oh, ok...I thought you had a fishtank-like container, but this is more like a tray or something...that is why I got confused...hehe...sorry!!! Nice growing!!!:)

that does look like a coerulea variety to me. it is certainly not straight alba. i know you can only see so much from a photo but i can see that the lip is "blueish". even if just a bit, many coerulea varieties in many genera can be very faintly colored...

yes, the judges at first thought it might be coerulea, but I had seen the color in the sunlight to know that the petals have faint pink or lavender color to them, though I won't say that it's impossible that it's a coerulea. I'd rather have someone prove me wrong that it isn't pink, but blueish. if I were to take it outside where I didn't have to use flash or had odd colors around throwing off the color balance (my camera almost never gets the color dead-on, no matter how good reviews are supposed to be for canon cameras), it would be more obvious. i'm pretty sure that oak hill's supplier (maybe their own plants) had been trying to breed to get alba by successively using lighter and lighter plants and felt that they had created an alba because the plants were so light. oak hill usually gives the supplier the benefit of the doubt about what plant they are really getting, but in this case I think the albas were all very faint normal equestrises. not that the plants aren't attractive, but if you are trying to finally get that 'true alba' white flower, then it is disappointing. it is interesting that the plant doesn't seem to have very much or any red coloration to the leaves which are very green, but the flowers petals do have pink in them. I don't think the sepals do though, or at least what I can see in bright light

Latest posts

Back