Unusual new Selenipedium or new genus?a

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alessandro G.

Reaction score
Browsing the web, I found this exciting set of publications from 2014 and 2015, respectively. One describes the new specie Selenipedium chironianum, a slipperless orchid specie from Guyana. Then the following publication proposes to move the specie into a new genus, Apedium, within the subfamily Cypripedioideae. What do you think about this new species?
You can find the 2014 publication here
You can find the 2015 publication here

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 1.png
    1.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
Not exactly a beauty, but very interesting! I was unaware of this species. Fascinating.
Yes, compared to other species, it's certainly not the most eye-catching one, but it is still quite fascinating from a botanical standpoint. It reminds me of Phragmipedium lindenii, although lindenii has a mico-slipper instead of an elongated petal.

Hmmm doesn’t look like any Selenipedium at first sight from plant pic regardless of it being ‘pouchless’. Now it seems it’s moved to a new genus Apedium. Interesting indeed.

You could find it also in the book of Phillip Cribb and also in my book about Phragmipedium and Selenipedium. It is a Selenipedium without a shoe, like the Phragmipedium lindenii is a Phrag. also without a shoe and not a Uropedium.

Latest posts

Back