Unknown Roth Hybrid - Help Me Out Please

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-spice

Reaction score
I bought this as Lady Isabel and it appears to be mislabeled. I can see a lot of roth influence but would love any input about what the hybrid might be. My guess would probably be Paph. St. Swithin x roth. I'm sure someone else would have a better guess than that though and I'd love to hear any input.

Thanks!

paph_roth_unknown_hybrid_01.jpg

paph_roth_unknown_hybrid_02.jpg

This is a complex hybrid so we will be just guessing. It would appear to have sanderianum in it given the petal length. A possibity is Michael Koopowitz x roths. A popular cross that often looks like this.

Looking at the lip color and considering how the "muddying" you get from P. philippinense often affects its hybrids even a couple generations removed, I'm not convinced there's much (if any) philly in the background. I certainly wouldn't expect to see this much saturation, brightness, and clarity of color in the lip from a hybrid with 25% or more philippinense unless it was an extremely exceptional clone.

Otherwise suggestions that rothchildianum and sanderianum are in the background of this cross seem pretty reasonable to me. Roth would explain a lot of features, sanderianum would explain the petals and ovary. Although there are lots of stripes and color in the dorsal sepal, it wouldn't surprise me to find out there's some stonei or platyphyllum in there.

Mrhappytrotter's comments make sense. It does have a lot of roths in it. A possibility to me is PEOY crossed back to roths.

Taiwan x roth? Double roth for the colour, those long thin petals from the platy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The color of the back of the dorsal is typical stonei. My guess would be (Lady Isabel x Prince Edward of York) or something similar. Form is too good for the pollen parent to be species sanderianum. Any combination of sanderianum and roth could work as the pollen parent.

Since the tag had Lady Isabel, I suspect Lady Isabel was the pod parent.

Really nice flowers, too bad provenance has been lost.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to comment on this. I learned a lot reading through all this great input about the plant. Thank you everyone!!!

Latest posts

Back