Unknown Pleurothallid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got stuck with this and a few other Pleurothallid scraps at a society meeting last year and figured they wouldn't put up with my greenhouse for long but they all have done surprisingly well. This is the first to bloom and I don't have the foggiest idea of what it is lol

20230508_171956.jpg
20230508_171913.jpg

Looks like Specklinia grobyi to me. If not, it is a very similar species. The older name was Pleurothallis grobyi.
I have plants labelled Specklinia grobyi with leaves ranging from long and slender to short and round, and things in the middle. Not saying it isn't, because I don't know, but I suspect that that name has been a dumping ground for unidentified species for quite some years...

(Taxonomy is a contact sport)

I have seen, and grown a couple hundred of these. If you grow it well, the leaves will get longer. The inflorescences will get longer with a few more tiny flowers.
I have many grow more like miniatures, shorter leaves and shorter spikes.
While Pleurothallis generally do not like a lot of light, growing this one in a bit brighter light could easily account for the differences seen.

I have plants labelled Specklinia grobyi with leaves ranging from long and slender to short and round, and things in the middle. Not saying it isn't, because I don't know, but I suspect that that name has been a dumping ground for unidentified species for quite some years...

(Taxonomy is a contact sport)
In Europe for sure, any pleurothallis with smaller flowers more or less was grobyi. As well because it was a sought after species by many hobbyists, so it made up for easy sales, rather than 'sp.' or rather than to spend hours trying to identify those plants.

Back