Undescribed wild venustum???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junglejewel

Reaction score
I was going through one of my books, The Genus Paphiopedilum, and came across the picture of a venustum in the wild. I’ve never seen a venustum like this before... it’s a color form with almost no purple coloring on the under sides of the leaves, just a few spots at the base... but what’s more confusing to me, is there is no mottling on the leaves at all. I’ve never seen this before!! Almost like it’s a natural hybrid with another species that grows with them, possibly Fairrieanum?? But then, the bloom would be completely different..., and it’s clear a venustum bloom... you can see the venustum to the left of it has slight mottling, but not this one... I’m quite confused.... anyone have any thoughts on this????4E3A4F3C-0DF3-4EE1-83D0-4A027E8C3CBF.jpeg

Attachments

• 57D678F6-F642-4EA9-A439-9FEE8210AFAC.jpeg
    57D678F6-F642-4EA9-A439-9FEE8210AFAC.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 12
These are several varieties of venustums, usually based on flower colours, wart locations, and size. Some of them have really patterned leaves ranging from dark green to light grey green on a olive green (or lighter) background. There are some with lighter mottling on light green leaves that can appear like they are not (or lightly) patterned. I have one such plant (pic attached below). So I believe that this species has very variable leaves depending on their ecological isolation. Leaves can also vary in shape from oval to roundish.

E10A79F7-B6A7-49F2-B764-E79AB3ADC9B4.jpeg

These are several varieties of venustums, usually based on flower colours, wart locations, and size. Some of them have really patterned leaves ranging from dark green to light grey green on a olive green (or lighter) background. There are some with lighter mottling on light green leaves that can appear like they are not (or lightly) patterned. I have one such plant (pic attached below). So I believe that this species has very variable leaves depending on their ecological isolation. Leaves can also vary in shape from oval to roundish.

View attachment 20968
I’d like to think I know a decent amount about venustum’s. At least, more than any other orchid. I have somewhere around 30 different venustum’s, as they are my favorite species. All of mine are completely unique and different, one thing I love about the species, but I’ve never seen one with leaves like that at all.... also, the plant you have pictured is measurianum right?

I was going through one of my books, The Genus Paphiopedilum, and came across the picture of a venustum in the wild. I’ve never seen a venustum like this before... it’s a color form with almost no purple coloring on the under sides of the leaves, just a few spots at the base... but what’s more confusing to me, is there is no mottling on the leaves at all. I’ve never seen this before!! Almost like it’s a natural hybrid with another species that grows with them, possibly Fairrieanum?? But then, the bloom would be completely different..., and it’s clear a venustum bloom... you can see the venustum to the left of it has slight mottling, but not this one... I’m quite confused.... anyone have any thoughts on this????View attachment 20954
There are many varieties of Paph. venustum with distinctly different features so it would not be very surprising to find a plain, green leaved form. Paph. wardii usually has highly tessellated foliage but there are both regularly coloured flower forms and forma album that have plain green foliage; I have one such wardii f. album in my collection. So why not venustum?

There are many varieties of Paph. venustum with distinctly different features so it would not be very surprising to find a plain, green leaved form. Paph. wardii usually has highly tessellated foliage but there are both regularly coloured flower forms and forma album that have plain green foliage; I have one such wardii f. album in my collection. So why not venustum?
This isn’t the Alba form though. It’s a colored form

I’d like to think I know a decent amount about venustum’s. At least, more than any other orchid. I have somewhere around 30 different venustum’s, as they are my favorite species. All of mine are completely unique and different, one thing I love about the species, but I’ve never seen one with leaves like that at all.... also, the plant you have pictured is measurianum right?
No, the plant is normal type flower.

I’m attaching pic of plant and flower below. As you can see, the leaves are very light green and some might say almost mottleless LoL. This is the red pouch variety that I suspect is from Tibet area in higher elevations.
FB3A553C-4838-4BC4-837D-37CAD7259F20.jpeg

No, the plant is normal type flower.

I’m attaching pic of plant and flower below. As you can see, the leaves are very light green and some might say almost mottleless LoL. This is the red pouch variety that I suspect is from Tibet area in higher elevations.
View attachment 20976
Wow! That’s very amazing! I definitely need that in my venustum collection!! Would you consider parting with it? For cash and/or trade? Or sell me a division?

Thanks!
It was very hard to acquire this plant lol because of rare red color on both petals and pouch.
So not parting with it.
But if a division should appear, you are first on list.
It shows that there are varieties out there we don’t often know or see, right?

Thanks!
It was very hard to acquire this plant lol because of rare red color on both petals and pouch.
So not parting with it.
But if a division should appear, you are first on list.
It shows that there are varieties out there we don’t often know or see, right?
Absolutely! And yes please! Let me be the first in line for a division my friend! Like I said, venustum’s are my passion and my main focus of the collection. I gotta have that one!!! Lol I’d be happy to trade paphs of mine for a division. Sort of reminds me of a “wilder” variation of this venustum of mine.26BB456D-BA36-4B0D-BEB1-F32064698CDC.jpeg

Absolutely! And yes please! Let me be the first in line for a division my friend! Like I said, venustum’s are my passion and my main focus of the collection. I gotta have that one!!! Lol I’d be happy to trade paphs of mine for a division.
Yes I admired your venustum collection before I even started mine this year LOL... so if anyone is to inherit this venustum it would be you. I am sure we can find a trade at that time.

BTW did you know that I will be doing an in-depth research on venustums (varieties and hybrids) for my research paper/project for next year? I will be in contact and consulting with world experts on this. Exciting!

That is so damn cool!!! I’d love to read that!! I’ve always dreamed of someone writing a book on just venustum’s. How extremely diverse the species is and their habitat ranges, ecology, variants, etc, with in situ research and pictures all in detail. For as amazing as they are, and how diverse, there really isn’t that much information on them like other species. I’d love that!!! In depth detail and pictures on the differences of rubrum, teestaensis, bhutanensis, pardinum, spectabile, aurenum, pradhanii, etc., and where each comes from and their ecological differences even if slight. How the ones from Tibet, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and more specifically, the Meghalaya regions differ. Etc, etc!! You got me excited, as you can probably see!! Lol anyways, I’m excited for your research paper, and excited to read it!! Ask those experts those questions for me! Lol Right on brother!

Absolutely! And yes please! Let me be the first in line for a division my friend! Like I said, venustum’s are my passion and my main focus of the collection. I gotta have that one!!! Lol I’d be happy to trade paphs of mine for a division. Sort of reminds me of a “wilder” variation of this venustum of mine.View attachment 20984
This is one I could trade for lol

That is so damn cool!!! I’d love to read that!! I’ve always dreamed of someone writing a book on just venustum’s. How extremely diverse the species is and their habitat ranges, ecology, variants, etc, with in situ research and pictures all in detail. For as amazing as they are, and how diverse, there really isn’t that much information on them like other species. I’d love that!!! In depth detail and pictures on the differences of rubrum, teestaensis, bhutanensis, pardinum, spectabile, aurenum, pradhanii, etc., and where each comes from and their ecological differences even if slight. How the ones from Tibet, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and more specifically, the Meghalaya regions differ. Etc, etc!! You got me excited, as you can probably see!! Lol anyways, I’m excited for your research paper, and excited to read it!! Ask those experts those questions for me! Lol Right on brother!
Indeed, all those ecotypes will be included as well a few more new types by UC Pradhan (who is one of the experts I’m consulting with). It is an exciting project for me too!

Indeed, all those ecotypes will be included as well a few more new types by UC Pradhan (who is one of the experts I’m consulting with). It is an exciting project for me too!
I can’t wait!!! This may be the most exciting news I’ve heard in a very long time! Lol

Latest posts

Back