Un-named Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Phrag. Sargeant Eric x caudatum v. warscewiczianum

The flower is larger than it looks in the photo. 9" (21.5 cm) tall x 6.75" (17 cm) wide -- measured from petal tips.

Phrag_SargeantEricxcaudatum.jpg

Heather said:
Nice dark color.

Is that what the tag reads, or are you just a super holdout!? :poke:
Yes, that's what is on the tag. I checked the RHS site and Rob Z's site, and it hasn't yet been named. What would I be holding out for???

SlipperFan said:
Yes, that's what is on the tag. I checked the RHS site and Rob Z's site, and it hasn't yet been named. What would I be holding out for???

caudatum var. warscewiczianum (or just Phrag. warscewiczianum) is now "technically" Phrag. popowii, a change a lot of people disagree with. I think that is what Heather was referring to.

As Kyle says, the besseae influence is gone. I think that is a little surprising. The longifolium is still apparent in the overall shape, the margin of the pouch and the edges of the petals and sepals. Strange, hey.

Chuck

kentuckiense said:
caudatum var. warscewiczianum (or just Phrag. warscewiczianum) is now "technically" Phrag. popowii, a change a lot of people disagree with. I think that is what Heather was referring to.
You know, that's what I thought, also. But I respect Rob Z's phragweb quite a lot, and he still has it listed as caudatum var. warscewiczianum, and doesn't list popowii at all, that I could find. I know that Braem and Ohlund have reclassified these, but I wonder how it will all shake out eventually.

Hey Dot,
If the tag was correct I would expect to see an orange or yellow background as from the Sargeant Eric parent. The Sargeant Eric parent looks like a redder version of Eric Young. I would expect something on the lines of Bel Houge Point or Bouley Bay. Your flower looks more like Les Dirouilles (Sorcerer's Apprentice x Grande) for some similar hybrid. Is it possible the tag got mixed up before you bought it? I would definitely keep watering it, it looks nice.
Leo

I agree. Les Dirouelles or similar. I also can't see the Sergeant Eric in the background. A lot of phrags are coming out of Hawaii with implausible tags. Beautiful plants, but I don't think the help necessarily understands the necessity to keep things labeled.

It is beautiful, however.

I must admit that I wondered about the tag. You are right, Leo and Rob -- the plant came from Hawaii, and I've seen many, many mislabeled plants from this particular grower.

Leo, maybe you have some influence with -- is he the owner, or just the hybridizer? He should care what comes from his place.

Latest posts

Back