Un-inflated/deformed pouch + brown spotting leaves.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysan

It's a learning curve...
Reaction score
Been a while since i've posted on here but been in the background quietly watering my collection....

Iv'e got a Phrag. Cape Bonanza that I divided last year into three plants. All have bloomed since but the latest one has thrown up two spikes and a couple of the flowers have not fully formed/inflated pouches and also some brown spotting on several leaves...

Is this systematic of a little under watering or something else?

Here's a couple of images:

cape_bonanza_01.jpg

cape_bonanza_02.jpg

Any thoughts?

It is my understanding that dented pouches are due to not enough moisture as the flower is opening. This could be low humidity, underwatering or damaged roots. The plant is just not able to move enough moisture to the bloom to inflate the pouch and keep up with evaporation. Sometimes my phrags will have this if they open in the winter months, when the humidity is lower, but will be just fine if they open up in the spring.

The spots on the leaves are a different issue and are reason for concern, mostly because it is not just the oldest leaves. It is impossible to tell from the photo, but it looks rust, or a similar fungal infection.

I would cut the flower spike and spray the plant with systemic fungicide.

Mike

It is my understanding that dented pouches are due to not enough moisture as the flower is opening. This could be low humidity, underwatering or damaged roots. The plant is just not able to move enough moisture to the bloom to inflate the pouch and keep up with evaporation. Sometimes my phrags will have this if they open in the winter months, when the humidity is lower, but will be just fine if they open up in the spring.

The spots on the leaves are a different issue and are reason for concern, mostly because it is not just the oldest leaves. It is impossible to tell from the photo, but it looks rust, or a similar fungal infection.

I would cut the flower spike and spray the plant with systemic fungicide.

Mike

Thanks Mike, would Physan 20 be a suitable weapon of choice to hopefully deal with the fungal infection? I'd have to buy it from the US as you can't buy anything here in the UK anymore that might, at some point in the downstream/food chain cause a fly somewhere to suffer a slightly sore throat....

Found it for sale on eBay with a hefty postage cost but happy to pay it to try and help the 3 plants along.

I spoke to an commercial grower here today who suggested it might be them getting a bit cold that's allowed the infection to prosper. I have a night time drop in the gro-room from about 25C/26C to around 18C and in order to get that drop, I open the window for an hour or two. These 3 plants are on a tray of 5 that are closest to that window....

What do we think?

Garysan

The temperature in my grow area drops to 16 C every night in the winter and I don't see this problem on my leaves, but the humidity is never very high, not even at night. I have not used Physan 20 for many years, but If I recall correctly, the paphs didn't respond well. Also, I don't believe it is systemic. If you don't have access to systemic fungicides and are forced to rely on surface treatments, you might as well use 3% hydrogen peroxide with a very small amount of soap and spray the leaves every day for a week or so.

Mike

There looks to be a faint color break in the leaves.
Look close and consider virus as a possibility.

I wouldn't know what to look for really but I've had the plant(s) for about 18 months and this has only recently started. I don't know virus behaviour one way or another so thought I'd just mention that above.

Back