Ugly ducklings...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaljala

Reaction score
Not sure if there is still hope, second bloom from flask for those plants. Each time flowers were similar but at the first flowering I cut the spike with leaving other buds developing... will see this time, as they all have more buds on the way.

Phragmipedium Dot Potter Barnett (Seymour Tower x Michel Tremblay)

Phragmipedium Petit Port 'Pink Ice' x fischeri

Phragmipedium Anthony Omeis (Spot On x Pink Panther)

I wouldn't call them ugly. Maybe not the best, but they're not that bad.

The problem with the bottom one doesn't look genetic. It might be very nice next time it blooms.

Yay besseae hybrids! The top is typical, nice color though. I wonder if Dot has flowered hers. The bottom got physical damage and maybe needs more water. Thanks for sharing.

I think most phrags do better on a larger plant, let them bloom again. First one has great color, agree that the petal shape isn't optimal. That might change on a subsequent blooming if the flower bud has more plant to pull from in development. Or it might not. Probably would still be a good show plant, just for the color. If it inherits anything from Seymour Tower, flowers might last longer too - my Seymour Towers seem to last forever (for a phrag).

There can be bad outcomes (I throw them out), but those three aren't that bad. If you don't like them, give them to a new grower to practice on.

Thank you all for your input. About the first one, what bothers me most is the light horizontal patch on the right petal, not so much the twisting. And because that patch was already present on a previous flower a year ago I doubt it is an accident.
The last one will hopefully have a better outcome on next flower, but it also had the same dry dorsal sepal on previous flowering.

I see potential in all three. Give them another chance.

The Dot has the colour, the second has nice deeply coloured lip and the third has nice flamea type splashes.

On a more mature stronger plant blooming at their best might give better outcomes. For example my Phrag. Yelva Myre’Bloody Mary’ AM/AOS was awarded on the second flower as the first one was wonky. Imagine that!

Latest posts

Back