Two traveling vacation flowers.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I've been away for 3 weeks and I missed the forum. I can't say I didn't view it at all in the last few weeks but it was just for a couple of quick minutes ever few days. I was able to have WIFI for the first two days at the condo and then lost the signal. I just got back from our fall vacation at Myrtle Beach. We had also planned on going to Florida and visiting Mickey and Junes Orchids, but the weather was to wet for that.

Below is a paph. that Hadley gave me while visiting him in N. Carolina. This photo was taken about 4 or 5 days before the flower fell off. It is a multigrowth first bloom seedling. I had also bought one of this cross in the spring and another one with this visit. Both of the other plants have a single growth and haven't bloomed as of yet. The cross is made using S. Gratrix 'Masterpiece' x S. Gratrix 'Bohemian Rhapsody' AM/AOS.

1045PaphSGratrix.jpg

The next photo is a plant that I dragged with me to enjoy while at the beach. This is a multigrowth plant that I truly believe was one of Nick's choice plants. I just love this one. My personal preference is to have a nice round flower, rather then the flat ones that are getting awarded.

1020PaphLuckyBells.jpg

I also came home to one of Theresa Hills lovely plants that opened while I was away. I believe it is called Olympic Emerald. I won't bore you with a photo of that one as I've shown you that one last year. Just to remind you guys, Hillesview has a special going on at the moment regarding budded complex paphs.

I just got back from our fall vacation at Myrtle Beach. We had also planned on going to Florida and visiting Mickey and Junes Orchids, but the weather was to wet for that.

Too wet??? It's been gorgeous here! I guess the rain was up that way.

Hadley Cash GAVE you a plant??? His stuff is so ridiculously overpriced I always thought he would be way too greedy to just give away a plant. How many thousands did you have to spend first?

" Momma always says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all!"" - Thumper

Sure, just lay down and die and let them all run over you...not very practical advice in a real world, is it?? So every bad experience with a vendor, be it eBay or otherwise, should go unremarked so the miscreants can just keep on swindling people? If your friend asks about a person you know whom they're going to date, and you know they're a crack-smoking, minimart robbing, spouse-abusing ex-con, yo're supposed to say nothing? What a great friend that would make you!!!

Alice Roosevelt Longworth, Teddy's very long-lived daughter, invited to every significant public and political function, had a small embroidered pillow she took with her to ever party, placed by her side on a sofa. It said "If you don't have anything nice to say about anyone, come and sit by me." She was very happy to the end.

Get real!

wow. great dorsal color on the first one and the form of the second one is excellent

Wow, those are really nice. The first flower seems so big!
Ah, I think my next paph purchase will be a brachy :) Can't wait for the coming paph show in December :D

Sure, just lay down and die and let them all run over you...not very practical advice in a real world, is it?? So every bad experience with a vendor, be it eBay or otherwise, should go unremarked so the miscreants can just keep on swindling people?
Get real!

What makes high prices for plants 'swindling'!? If prices are "ridiculously overpriced" the "real" option available is to not buy. :cool:

Tenman, don't worry about it. Bob is a big boy and he has been dealing with Hadley for years from what I can gather.

Nice Lucky Bells Bob!

Ernie, We had planned on coming down to Orlando on the 27th of Sept. We keep checking the forecast and according to the computer it was a rainy week. We had the keys to my friends condo in Dennisport but still didn't make the trip. At Myrtle beach, it also rained that whole week.

Now to the few people that are arguing on here. Yes, I am indeed a big boy and have my big boy pants on. Yes, Hadley is expensive and holds his plants close to his heart. When you deal with a vendor year after year you build a relationship with them. On this visit Hadley gave me not one but two seedling. This one in flower and another older cross species of his that is blooming size. I've spent plenty of money with Hadley over the years, but buy mostly seedlings. This trip I bought on $150 division in bud and about 15 seedlings. Half of the seedlings that he sold me are plants he doesn't plan on releasing to the public until he sees them bloom. You also may get a better price on some of the seedlings if you are indeed a repeat customer that has developed a relationship over the year.

Welcome back Bob!! Hope your vacation was a great one! Bet it was super cool visiting Marriott Orchids! One of these days, I hope to visit one of the big orchid nurseries.

Love both blooms, but the Lucky Bells knocks your socks off!! Incredible bloom!

The first flower is really unique. I'd love to see it on its next blooming. Nick's plant is really nice, also.

While I don't know Hadley as well as Bob, I've found him to be a gentleman of high integrity. He's explained his reasoning behind the way he sells his plants to me and it makes sense for him. I wish his seedling were less expensive, too, but they are cutting edge breeding and always in excellent condition. The same can be said for his divisions, they are always in beautiful condition. I look forward to seeing him, again, when he speaks at the Orchid Society of Minnesota meeting on April 16, 2011.

Ernie, We had planned on coming down to Orlando on the 27th of Sept. We keep checking the forecast and according to the computer it was a rainy week. We had the keys to my friends condo in Dennisport but still didn't make the trip. At Myrtle beach, it also rained that whole week

Well, never trust the computer for weather. Call me next time and I'll look out the window. :) I think we did have a chance of rain each day, maybe 30-40%, but I don't remember getting anything appreciable. Certainly no wash outs. I noticed some of the sites put up a rain cloud forecast for anything over 30% chance. Shoot, it's not summer here unless each day has a chance of rain. Anyway, catch you next time!

I've found him to be a gentleman of high integrity. He's explained his reasoning behind the way he sells his plants to me and it makes sense for him. I wish his seedling were less expensive, too, but they are cutting edge breeding and always in excellent condition.

Agreed. I've met him several times, had a couple drawn out conversations with him, and have visited his greenhouse. Even not dropping a mint, he was most generous when I visited... with his time, knowledge, and pricing. Hadley is no crook. He prices to keep because breeding is his passion. He'd rather see a bunch of his seedlings bloom out to pick the very best to breed on than sell them as NBS seedlings in 2.5" pots for $15-25 making his money back quickly BUT possibly missing the most excellent clone. Like others have said, if one does not like it, there are plenty of other places to shop.

:clap: :drool: :drool: That first plant is quite interesting & the markings make it different which can be good. Looking forward to seeing the next blooming.
Love the Lucky Bells, would not expect anything other than the roundest, considering all the bellatulum in the background!

Hadley is going to be doing a presentation for IOS next month which I'm very much looking forward to! I don't know if I dare look over his website & preorder or wait & see what he comes up with. There were a couple of interesting crosses he had last week on ebay, what else will he be offering :drool: ? and will the price be right?

Rose, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but his prices won't be any different then on the web site. However, he has many seedlings ready for sale that aren't on the web site. If you have a specific budget and a particular area of interest I'd call him. He does, much better on his cell phone then returning e-mails. What you can do is say I'd like to spend this much and would like you to pick out some seedlings for you. It took me a long time to not go to Marriotts with a order all ready on paper, just using his web site. Now, I just tell him I'm coming and to pick out some seedlings for me. I used to always just request the whites. Now I just let him pick what he wants. Then when I arrive, we sit down and he explains every cross to me and what he expects from it. Then I can take the plant or refuse it. I almost never refuse he choices. This last time there was on cross that seemed to speculative for me. Hadley is also getting into a little species breeding as well as the complex. The most expensive seedling I bought this time is a speculative cross. It is Kevin Porter x magic lantern. I know he isn't selling any of these until they bloom. I think there is only one registered cross using Kevin Porter. What can we expect on this cross other then red? Nothing, it will be red for sure, the question is, what will the shape look like.

The most expensive seedling I bought this time is a speculative cross. It is Kevin Porter x magic lantern.
:sob: ..so unfair!
I've met Hadley and as Bob says, he holds his plants close, as if they're from his personal collection. I've never done business w/ him because most of his breeding is not in directions I grow and of course my budget is limited. If I had the chance to get the cross noted above and could squeeze some dough out of my wallet I'd jump on it though!

Latest posts

Back