Two Terry Jarvi crosses and a discussion of orange

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Terry Jarvi is proving to be a great breeder for orange-y shades. It’s a cross of Forestvale ‘San Carlos’ and Summer Sun ‘San Carlos’ registered by Kay Rinaman in 1999. Of interest is that Kay, great paph collector that she was, only ever registered 9 grexes. I think it’s safe to assume that those are all going to be pretty spectacular. The mix of plants in the background of Terry Jarvi is about what you would expect from a good yellow – Van Ness, Hellas, Gege Hughes, Greenvale – and one you might not be as familiar with. In any case I know I’m not very familiar with Amarillo, a plant not often used in breeding, one I’ve never seen for sale, and one I’ve never seen a picture of. Nonetheless of the three registered progeny of Amarillo, two are wonderful – Terry Jarvi and Annette. Maybe you’ve heard of Annette ‘Golden Age’ AM/AOS, S/CSA; in my opinion it’s one of the very finest paphs ever. Its award photographs show a large flower of incredible proportions, but it’s the color that really does it for me. Here’s a photo of Annette ‘Golden Age’ on some random Flickr page from a show in Japan – it gives you some idea of the tremendous rich buttery yellow color. Nothing wishy-washy about that color – there’s no green in it at all. It’s almost a true orange. I have a couple of Terry Jarvis in bud now – hope to post them soon.

Anywho back to the plants at hand. First is an Evan Thomas (Terry Jarvi x Pacific Shamrock); OZ has some nice ones of these and I do too. I know Scott Ware has an exceptional one as well – perhaps he took a photo of it and would like to share. This one is quite large - petal width of 6.5 cm and NS 13.1 cm.

The second is to me even more interesting. It’s an unregistered cross of Terry Jarvi and Killarney Gem ‘Chocolate Soldier’. I think this grex is destined for greatness – I think it’s going to get an AQ. I’m not sure why but I just have a feeling about it. Killarney Gem is not a large flower but it has great substance, texture, color and form (its CSA award photo is actually much better than the linked one). This is the first to bloom of the grex, and I hope it’s a portent of things to come. Again, this one is large - 5.1 cm petals but almost 16 cm NS.

Attachments

• evanthomas_katesafterglow.jpg
    evanthomas_katesafterglow.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 86
  • kgxtj_kateshalo.jpg
    kgxtj_kateshalo.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I like the cross of Terry Jarvi and Killarney Gem also. I think the white border on the dorsal highlights the rest of the colors.

Charlie

The two posted are great looking flowers. About the Annette ‘Golden Age’ , Its hard to improve this one, amazing. Has any breeding been done with Annette?

Tim, didn't Fransicso make Evan Thomas? Got my Terry Jarvi from Joel. Love the yellows.

Tims flowers are very nice, I like these colours on a Paph. The second is pretty large for a first bloom, isn't it?

Speaking of Annette, a nice "orange" is the cross with conco-bellatulum at Marriotts web site:

http://www.marriottorchids.com/Gallery photos/Annette x ConcoBellatulum NeonOrange.jpg

Franz Glanz has crossed Annette with P. Anja ( a parent of Lippewunder) and registered the cross as Wössner Leguan. The few I've seen are pretty much like Lippewunder. A bad pic of a good flower is at Slipperorchids.info.

Annette has only eight registered offspring, maybe people thought there wasn't much room for improvement.

oranges

Thanks guys for the interesting discussion. Annette 'Golden Age' falls under the category of my last post - it was bred and awarded at a bad time for complex paphs in the US. It went with all the Stewarts' paphs to Europe - Lippewunder is Anja x Deadwood Trail - both Stewarts' grexes - so it's not a surprise to me that very little has been done in terms of breeding large grexes with Annette in the US. I'm aware of two pieces of it in the US, and some in Japan and clearly some on the Continent. Of course I may be wrong and it may be more widely distributed but I think I'm correct - based on its breeding records and its beauty I wouldn't be surprised if it constantly holds pods and therefore doesn't get much chance to grow!

Russ - yes both these crosses are originally from Francisco Baptista of the former Paph House (along with my former judging mentor Fred Jernigan).

Another note is the consistent parent in everything I've seen with some orange in it - these two, Annette, things like London Wall, Greenstede, Miriam Sacher, Sweet Accord and so forth all have in their background a plant called Gold Mohur. it may just be coincidence - Gold Mohur is a parent of nearly 100 crosses - but I think maybe somewhere in its genetics is the key to this type of breeding. Looking through RHS paintings shows it as a parent again and again in orangey colored offspring.

Maybe as more of my oranges bloom I'll find Gold Mohur in their backgrounds as well.

Latest posts

Back