Two Phrag. Jason Fischer plant bloomings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
The first one is from Orchids Limited. This is its first blooming, and the cross is Phrag. Jason Fischer (besseae ‘Rick Hunter’ x Mem.Dick Clements ‘Red Wing’) There is more yellow in the bloom, but my camera is unable to capture that in this photo.
haha I was carrying the plant at night, and my mom said, wow that is red....

And the second one was another plant of another cross from somewhere else, bloomed in June.

I photographed them in the same spot, but the lighting was probably very different due to the seasonal changes. I think the second one had darker coloring and it had more hairs.

Wow - I love them both. I especially like the OL cross - I have several of those (all unbloomed) and it's encouraging to see how nice yours is.

e-spie

Very nice, Fren. You say the first has more yellow than you camera captures. Do you feel the red tone is true? Many cameras seem to have solftware that reduces the orange (and yellow) in favour of pinkness (magenta), I assume because the manufacturer feel it gives better skin tones. I owned an Olympus that was great in every respect for a small point and shoot camera other than the color bias. I had to reduce the magenta component of the color by 10% to give what I thought was true color, in besseae flowers and besseae hybrids particularly.

Very nice, Fren. You say the first has more yellow than you camera captures. Do you feel the red tone is true? Many cameras seem to have solftware that reduces the orange (and yellow) in favour of pinkness (magenta), I assume because the manufacturer feel it gives better skin tones. I owned an Olympus that was great in every respect for a small point and shoot camera other than the color bias. I had to reduce the magenta component of the color by 10% to give what I thought was true color, in besseae flowers and besseae hybrids particularly.

You're right, the photo is more magenta than it should be. Thanks for the explanation about cameras!
I did some colour adjusting before posting, but I cannot make it match with complete accuracy to the bloom. I tried adjusting magenta-green, but then the photo turns very dull

It is more of a red-maroon. I might get a more accurate shot if I took it under sunset/sunrise lighting because of the warmer light, but our days are too cloudy and short now...

I think both jason fischer pictures have photo colour accuracy issues. I think maroons are the most difficult to capture. And flowers with pigmented hairs are very tough to photograph too!

Latest posts

Back