Two Paphs I crossed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I thought I might continue the breeding program this year. I have been a little slack because I have so much away in flask to come back soon and very little room left but I couldn't resist swapping pollen with these two.
Freckles 'Corky'
index_001_001.jpg

Colonist 'Wellington'
index_001.jpg

What would you like to see out this crossing?
So often in complexes we see the 'whites' & the 'reds' being concentrated on in seperate lines. Time for an outcross?

What would you like to see out this crossing?
So often in complexes we see the 'whites' & the 'reds' being concentrated on in seperate lines. Time for an outcross?

Exactly. Good whites are available but generally have a Brachy in them.
( recent hybrids ) Pinks are around but not common. Good reds are a dime a dozen. I would like to get a softening of the colors in Colonist and get some good pastels. With influence of the Freckles, whiteish flowers may occur. Any I get that have some form about them could help future breeding for white complex without the Brachy influence and there are some quality complex white paphs around even though some are on the small side and on the old side but have the points on the board for white breeding. Maybe a Brachy could be introduced to a plant from this cross. Long way to go yet.

Thanks Roy! Good luck - I'll cross my fingers for you!
I don't know if I'll get around to breeding but I find it interesting!

O, that is a nice Freckles! As for the other, I think you're right about a dime a dozen w/ reds - all complexes tend to be impressive to see in person, but they don't always hold my attention for all that long, maybe b/c of the excess of symmetry/roundness, I guess I like to be able to look again and again and still find more new sublties of form and curves to a flower! I like your idea of mixing what does seem to be separate directions of complex breeding though :) - throw in some color shades that don't seem to say 'my child painted this w/ primary color paints...and they already used up all the blue for sky and water, so it's pretty much red and yellow...'

Latest posts

Back