Two Paph fairrieanums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are two Paph fairrieanums from two different sources. I'd like comments on which one you prefer, if either. The first is larger, if that makes a difference.

PaphfairrieanumPR1.jpg

PaphfairrieanumOL1.jpg

i like the second one better...i like how the petals curl backwards and the frills on the petals...unless of course im blind and i dont see how the petals curl backwards on the first...

besides that though theyre both nice

I like the second even though it's a smaller flower. I prefer the flatter dorsal and the upswept laterals.

The second one has more the traditional fairrieanum shape, the dorsal needs to improve slightly, the first has a bad dorsal but the rest of the flower appears to have a lot more substance to it????. The petals, if they stay as they are would be better in a breeding program with Maudiae types as they may not cause the furl back as can happen in these crosses which can distort an otherwise good flower. Question, are these 1st flowering seedlings???????. They may be a lot better next time.
Both worth keeping. Slight leaning to No.1

The second one has more the traditional fairrieanum shape, the dorsal needs to improve slightly, the first has a bad dorsal but the rest of the flower appears to have a lot more substance to it????. The petals, if they stay as they are would be better in a breeding program with Maudiae types as they may not cause the furl back as can happen in these crosses which can distort an otherwise good flower. Question, are these 1st flowering seedlings???????. They may be a lot better next time.
Both worth keeping. Slight leaning to No.1

#1 is in its second blooming and #2 is a first bloom seedling.

Nice pics. I think we're pretty much in agreement, there are good qualities about both plants!

Both are nice but I like the second one more - as Marco said there's more 'verve' in this flower .

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I prefer the twist on the petals of the second one.

Tadd, where have you been hiding? I missed you and would like to hear about your little son.

Well I have been super busy with the new school, My home computer is broken, meaning to get it taken care of, my work computer does not allow us on forums or most downloading sites. I have to travel to my in-laws to use their comp. I miss being able to chat alot. I do miss this forum alot. I have been working at Tom's two nights and all day Saturdays. It has been crazy.
Tucker has been doing great! He turned 1 a few weeks ago and is amazing! is really getting into everything all the time it is quite fun! All in great but busy! I hope you are all well also!

Yeah, Tadd, you slacker you! :poke:

After clerking a third time the other day on a paph team, I think there are flaws in both flowers - I like the first for it's size but not the dorsal. I think the other is maybe a little too curly in the petals, but I'm just learning this stuff...

that was my thinking, also, but upon reviewing AOS award pictures for fairrieanum, most awarded ones have some curling of the petals.

Latest posts

Back