Two New Ones

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayreon

hans.jpg

Paphiopedilum primulinum x malipoense
and
Paphiopedilum farrieanum x barbigerum var h

Not sure what "h" stands for.

I guess, 'barbigerum var h' means helenae.
Hard to believe that barbigerum can make so yellow color, and the plant is so small, so I think it might used helenae as parent.

This primulinum x malipoense is also special to to me. Most Envy Green I had seen are more green, and have larger pouch.

My guess is also helenae, but is helenae only a form of barbigerum? I thought they were two different species?

I think the envy greens you have seen are malipoense x primulinum.. and not the other way around like this one. I have seen many examples of crosses that looks different depending on which plant you use as a mother :)

I believe chien is right. I heard from a realiable source that the vendor who uses that code instead of helenea.

Kyle

I guess, 'barbigerum var h' means helenae.
Hard to believe that barbigerum can make so yellow color, and the plant is so small, so I think it might used helenae as parent.

Of course helenae is a species now, but when it was discovered, it might thought as a form of barbigerum, I guess.
Another possibility, maybe because helenae is still illegal in the country of the breeder, so he used the name 'barbigerum', and use 'var. h' to remind himself.

Dar Chien,
your second thought was correct.
I was not allowed to sell hybrids with an illegal species and so the name barbigerum var. h was used. You can find the same way in other species.

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back