Two New kovachii hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Now registered are:
Phrag. Graeme Jones (Barbara Le Ann x kovachii)
PHragGraemeJones.jpg

and:
Phrag. Glen Decker (Jason Fischer x kovachii)
PhragGlenDecker.jpg

They were registered by Alfredo Manrique. (Not my photos, by the way -- they were sent to me with the announcement.)

No offense to Glen Decker, but Graeme Jones is to DIE for!!!!!!
That is the shape I`ve been waiting for -Especially from a kovachii hybrid!
I do love the colour of the Glen Decker over the GJ.

Very nice, and quite good compared to expectations. But I still don't know how these kovachii hybrids are going to shake out. In point, whihc would you rather have, a really nice Jason Fischer, a really nice kovachii, or a really nice Glen Decker? I would pick the first, every time. Maybe if someone eventually gets a kovachii sized flower, with kovachii shape, and the intense RED color of J.F., then I will fall in love.

I love everything about the Graeme Jone. I think it's my favorite kovachii hybrid by far!

Very nice, and quite good compared to expectations. But I still don't know how these kovachii hybrids are going to shake out. In point, whihc would you rather have, a really nice Jason Fischer, a really nice kovachii, or a really nice Glen Decker? I would pick the first, every time. Maybe if someone eventually gets a kovachii sized flower, with kovachii shape, and the intense RED color of J.F., then I will fall in love.

This might be possible with a backcross onto Jason Fischer.....There is nothing quite like the velvety red of a good JF.

Wow,Graeme Jones is very interesting hybrid...one of the best i've see for now...

Brian,

I don't think we'll see the true potential of Pk until the third generation of hybrids. The Graeme Jones is nice, but from a judging standpoint I'd like to see more even color in the petals. I'd love to see it bred it to a really good, dark red Rosalie Dixler (kaieteurum x besseae) or a 4N Jason Fischer (MDC x besseae).

Brian,

I don't think we'll see the true potential of Pk until the third generation of hybrids. The Graeme Jones is nice, but from a judging standpoint I'd like to see more even color in the petals. I'd love to see it bred it to a really good, dark red Rosalie Dixler (kaieteurum x besseae) or a 4N Jason Fischer (MDC x besseae).

Wouldn't breeding to a 4N Jason Fisher result in 3N offspring and be a dead end for the breeding line?

Lance,

That's true, but not all of us are breeders, and triploids for the most part are vigorous, colorful and rewarding to the slipper orchid hobbyist because they are easy to grow and floriferous. (Plus, in this case I expect the 4N JF might provide a double-shot of color).

Latest posts

Back