Two different Fdk. Crosses from Sunset Valley

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cheyenne

These both recently bloomed. The first one is Fdk. After dark. Same cross as all the original black ones came out of. Also "Sunset Valley Orchids" cultivar. It has bloomed before but I was gone last year and the year before it was a small plant, I don't think I paid much attention to it. If you have seen the cultivar "Black Pearl" it is about the same size and shape. Just with more color. I have both and I much prefer this one. I will post the second one in a soon.
Sorry about the photos with my phone. Better than nothing. I always want to get out my good camera, so I wait until I have time, by then the blooms are gone.

Here is the second one. This is mo. Painted Desert x ctsm. Susan Fuchs, instead of (x Painted Desert). It has less flowers per infloresence than the first one but the flowers are a lot bigger. Bigger than any other Fdk. That I have bloomed. I was not expecting the color. This was tucked in the back and after a week or two i finally turned it around and was very surprised. The black ones are nice but much prefer the colored ones.

Sorry Dot. Was supposed to be one post but my one and four year old have other plans. I don't want them to grow up to fast but it will be nice when I can say wait a minute and they listen. That will be a while.

Both of those are beautiful...the lighter being the one I like best. I have one black Ctsm (got rid of my After Dark- kept Monn Millenium Magic) but I'm not a fan of the black. Realized this after those 2 bloomed the first year. I just don't care for the black and the *only* reason I kept one is because black is so unusual. At least it used to be. :)

I guess that's the long way of getting to...I like your colors better than the stark black. The patterning is especially wonderful in the Painted Desert cross.

Thanks. They both have a strong fragrance too. Thats always a plus. Just to give an idea of size of you grow indoors. The bulbs on both of these are about 22-24 inches tall. Maybe more. With leaves they are very big. They were small win I bought them and about 6-8 inches when they first bloomed.

Latest posts

Back