two Cypripedium-inspired paintings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
This one was finished over the summer:

yellowladysslippers.jpg

It's 11" x 16", watercolor and pastel on 140Ib cold press, acid-free paper.

This one was finally finished yesterday--same specs as the previous piece aside from being executed in watercolor only:

ram%27s%20head.jpg

Wall of mosquitoes and flies aside, I can't wait to go back and acquire more references next spring...the drive from Missouri to Tobermory, Ontario is a lot longer than Detroit to Tobermory though. (It's also become much more expensive to visit than it was when we started going in 2000, as our dollar has fallen against theirs so significantly.) I found several other native species there last time (seems to be one new one for me per year), but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'll let you guys know when I do!

Wow!! that first is by far my favorite of all of yours thus far...
take my plants for trade? :)

Thanks for the comments so far! The first is certainly the more nostalgic piece stylistically.

Cyp. arietinum blends into its environment entirely (I walked past this grouping several times before finding it), making it all the more magical of an experience to find it in person, and one that I was intent on evoking. It’s painless to separate the foreground from the background, but in this case I chose to let the two mingle…the bits of new growth, reddish Cyprus litter, dappled sunlight all contributed to my artistic license which makes better use of the medium than I’ve managed in a long time.

The first is hesitantly for sale, but the second I have “grand plans” for—it doesn’t mean someone can’t speak for it though!

Thanks, paphioboy--always nice to receive a compliment from a gracious fellow artist.

Blake, I neglected to say that, yes, I do trade sometimes--rarely is it straight art for orchids though--gotta catch me on a really good month or else have a raft of offerings that trumps my inclination to be responsible (I don't let the latter happen often).

I wish the Society (New England Wild Flower) had cash to buy art - those would be perfect for us! We generally have a lot of posters and prints hanging in the offices but we don't exactly have a budget for acquisitions. I'm not sure if our Museum Store would be able to afford your paintings either Robin but if you are interested, I could certainly put you in touch with our Retail Operations Manager.

Thanks again everyone for the much-appreciated encouragement!

Heather, I’ve been known to let societies use images of my art for free in newsletters, show logos etc. as long as they credit me and put a link to my web site in the printed material somewhere. Just email me if that’s ever of interest to you guys.

Thanks, Todd. I suspect the first came across better in the scan because it's less textured visually. As I implied though, the second (at least in person) is one of my best pieces in a long time and why it's being held onto for a show.

Both of the slipper paintings are beautiful. I'd hang either on one of my walls in a heartbeat.

Oh my gosh Eric, you're right. Sorry streetmorrisart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back