Trout Lily by Moonlight and Will-o'-the-Wisp

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
This is how I interpreted a recent White Trout Lily viewing (I personally classify these under “magical flowers”), and any visit to my web site would disclose my general love of all things evening and celestial:

Robin Street-Morris. Trout Lily by Moonlight and Will-o'-the-Wisp. 2008.
Watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press paper. 11" x 16" (27.94 x 40.64cm).

will-o%27-the-wispII.jpg

It is a lovely and mystical painting! :clap::clap: I really like it! A bonnet fit for a fairy princess.
(glad we aren't dealing with realism for trout lilies close at night)

Robin, you have to stop this! :rollhappy:

I learned the other day that the reason they are called Trout Lillies is because the leaves resemble the fish. They are one of my favorite spring ephemorals. Also, we took out a large number of pines at the garden over the winter and I was told they are blooming better than they have in 20 years because of the additional light.

Yup, the name refers to the beautiful fish—spots!

It’s awfully nice to know some of you are enjoying this so much. I haven’t been terribly happy as of late, but painting this was as enjoyable as the process can be when things are going well with a piece and I’m painting it for the right reasons. I saw the flower locally and knew immediately what I was going to do with the experience. The yellow form was what I knew first though—there was a big stand of them down the street from where I grew up, and I visited others in what was once my “back yard” when I lived in Ann Arbor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichols_Arboretum

Latest posts

Back