Trouble with blooming a paph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

This is Paph Orchilla x Paph Brecko Garnet. She has been in Aussie Gold mix since Oct. and in the new greenhouse since Nov. Lived on an enclosed porch under lights until then. She has never bloomed. Someone suggested that she is sterile. Anyone have suggestions as how to get her to bloom?

P.S. hope this worked. took me about an hour to figure out photobucket.

What are the original species that went into this mix?

Sounds like you've had it for less than a year, although it has a bunch of good growths on it. We've had some posts recently of first time bloomers after 20 years of growing. May just need patience.:(

don't know the original parentage. I've had it for about 3 years from Mark Rose of Breckenridge Orchids before he went out of business.

Since it's being grown in a g.h. I'm assuming the plant is receiving adequate light, night temp. drop and fertilizing? I've got 2 paphs that are specimen sized, that I've had for probably 8 years and they've never bloomed for me. While all the other paphs nearby bloom with no problem. It may be that this is just a cross that is very reluctant to bloom under your conditions(and maybe everyone's conditions!). If it doesn't bloom for you in the next year or so you'll have to question if it's worth the bench space and perhaps pass it on to someone else to try their luck. Note, that you will hate this person when they tell you they bloomed it easily in the first 6 months of growing it.

Haha, there are stories here about people not having plants bloom. That's why I consider mine as houseplants and when they bloom it's an added bonus!

:poke: maybe it's not a 'she' and you're insulting it into not blooming:rollhappy:

I would try to give it more of a temperature drop, say another 10-15 degrees for a few weeks, if possible.

Tom

Back