Triple spiking P.thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, We've had people post multi spikes on this forum before.

Like I said you can create just about anything in the GH or the lab.

Generally has nothing to do with genetics and nothing to do with species status.

.01% not even close to anything but same chance for any paph species. Just about same odds as getting struck by lightning.

Agree but reading the post seems that some of this plants reflower with multispikes...right poozcard?Will be like a lightning strickeing 2 times in same point..:poke:

If that's true,can be genetic...also cause as said also others from the same population had shown multispikes...
Did other species or hybrids in the same growing area shown the same feature(if yes will be a proof that is due to cultivation hormons etc...).

I support Poozcard and sorry, Roth.. I dont agree.. The pics are too low resolution to tell for sure its a cross.. But you would say anything, that has bcome clear.

Look, it true a lot of fertilisers and nutrients used here are overboard for long term good and produce abnormal results, but not everyone uses them that way too.

Brett

The tripple spiking is found as 1 of 2000 flowers we have seen.
But double spiking is aprox. 10 of 2000 (0.5%)

Footnote is find for me in this case. :):):)

You guys are gamblers!

The odds are better at the slots in Vegas:poke::poke:

Try another way. I believe you said you were an engineer. What kind of liability insurance could you get for a building design that had a 10 in 2000 chance of surviving a normal seasonal typhoon?

Agree but reading the post seems that some of this plants reflower with multispikes...right poozcard?Will be like a lightning strickeing 2 times in same point..:poke:

If that's true,can be genetic...also cause as said also others from the same population had shown multispikes...
Did other species or hybrids in the same growing area shown the same feature(if yes will be a proof that is due to cultivation hormons etc...).

Sorry, but 0.5% odds can't prove anything (that will pay the bills anyway). But I'm very impressed that someone bothered to count! I do environmental biometrics for a living, anything less than 1% is total conjecture. Sometimes you can get folks to buy into something at 10%. By 20% you could pass in a court of law or get your pHD dissertation approved.

Actually I had a good friend who had been struck twice during his lifetime. He died of cancer a couple years ago. I heard on the radio that there was an unofficial club here in the US for people who have been hit by lightning. At least 1 of their members had survived 3 strikes!!!!!!

Despite the joking around, I would like to see a comprehensive survey of the population metrics of thaianam in the wild (before removal to cultivation). What's the pollinator?

Rick,I think that only easy thing to do to see results,is to try and not calculate,if human lives are not involved....
If I had enough space,and can do outdoor paph growing year round,this will be a nice challenge...in this case is an interesting "diversity"...in the other species,the rate is not 1/200,is 0-1/over 100.000...so in this case we have a goood percentage(if 1/200 was a bad percentage,quantum fisics will be never tried or studied...)is not so far for the selection of an albino paph from a selfing of a semialba one...
Rick,I think plants breeding is working on different numbers...I just selected a sukakulii that is probably 4N...the only different plant in a batch of 2500+ seedlings in compots...if its real true 4N the possibility was of 1/2500...but easy just have to search the batch and know what to see...
If have space outdoor to grow seedlings selected and breeded for that characteristic only time and space(and a good lab) needed...and brachys are quite fast plants...so in 6-8 years will be already at 3rd generation...

Rick,I think that only easy thing to do to see results,is to try and not calculate,if human lives are not involved....
If I had enough space,and can do outdoor paph growing year round,this will be a nice challenge...in this case is an interesting "diversity"...in the other species,the rate is not 1/200,is 0-1/over 100.000...so in this case we have a goood percentage(if 1/200 was a bad percentage,quantum fisics will be never tried or studied...)is not so far for the selection of an albino paph from a selfing of a semialba one...
Rick,I think plants breeding is working on different numbers...I just selected a sukakulii that is probably 4N...the only different plant in a batch of 2500+ seedlings in compots...if its real true 4N the possibility was of 1/2500...but easy just have to search the batch and know what to see...
If have space outdoor to grow seedlings selected and breeded for that characteristic only time and space(and a good lab) needed...and brachys are quite fast plants...so in 6-8 years will be already at 3rd generation...

I like your thinking Valenzino!!! Lets write a grant:)

Actually I had a good friend who had been struck twice during his lifetime. He died of cancer a couple years ago. I heard on the radio that there was an unofficial club here in the US for people who have been hit by lightning. At least 1 of their members had survived 3 strikes!!!!!!

Despite the joking around, I would like to see a comprehensive survey of the population metrics of thaianam in the wild (before removal to cultivation). What's the pollinator?

Welcome to Thailand.
I would like to see it too.

:clap::clap::clap:

That is really good to know that hormones may cause this result too.
I have never thought about before.
Will try next time when I got the plant in my own collection.

Maybe we can see 5 spikes blooming in the same time.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

I like your thinking Valenzino!!! Lets write a grant:)

Ok,you put money,I put knowhow!:clap::poke::rollhappy:
Or maybe we ask Poozcard to put everything and we only take the merits of the research.. :evil::rollhappy::sob:

Always open to new orchids experiences and researches!

That is really good to know that hormones may cause this result too.
I have never thought about before.
Will try next time when I got the plant in my own collection.

Maybe we can see 5 spikes blooming in the same time.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Sometimes hormones give strikeing results,but quite always you pay them seeing the plant die!Like a bit doping in sport :poke:

I've done some experiment with NFT sistems,using some pure animal extracts from a factory that produce a whole gamma of nutrients(was the pure concentrated product that have to be diluted thousand times to be used...I used it pure,1 drop every 2 days in a 20 litre basin nft system).That was derived from cow/horse/pig blood.A deadly smelly black dense product extrafull of everithing(hormons proteins aminoacids etc....).I had some Bulbophyllums doing 10 leaves x Bulb!!!But after 1 year all died and no one have flowered while the original plants have flowered as usual...

Can be interesting to do some experiments,but bad thing on a long term basis.And,for peoples selling plants,its a real scum!
They buy a extra powerfull plant that in few months fade away...they feel unabl to grow orchids and loose passion...so not to be done.Some giberellins and others can be well used to stimulate new growth and new roots but must be used as an help not a solution.
The use of some hormons,in a right percentage,at the beginning of the vegetative groth,(apply 2-3 times at medium low concentration just before or at the beginning of the vegetative periode),can help in create faster specimen plants,but if done too much,the plant can collapse because of missproportion and uselees organs dimensions compared to the environment.

If you dont use hormons etc,will be worth trying to cross the 3spiked thaianum with the 2 spiked thaianum and see the result...after the outcome all flowered,if other multispiked ones occured,select them and recross them again,to see if the percentage of multispikeing is improving...if that occurs,in 3-4 generations you will end up with a population of all multispikeing thaianums...and possibly that characterisctic can be passed to their hybrids also...so a whole new line of multispikeing paphs...

Ok,you put money,I put knowhow!:clap::poke::rollhappy:
Or maybe we ask Poozcard to put everything and we only take the merits of the research.. :evil::rollhappy::sob:

Always open to new orchids experiences and researches!

Sometimes hormones give strikeing results,but quite always you pay them seeing the plant die!Like a bit doping in sport :poke:

I've done some experiment with NFT sistems,using some pure animal extracts from a factory that produce a whole gamma of nutrients(was the pure concentrated product that have to be diluted thousand times to be used...I used it pure,1 drop every 2 days in a 20 litre basin nft system).That was derived from cow/horse/pig blood.A deadly smelly black dense product extrafull of everithing(hormons proteins aminoacids etc....).I had some Bulbophyllums doing 10 leaves x Bulb!!!But after 1 year all died and no one have flowered while the original plants have flowered as usual...

Can be interesting to do some experiments,but bad thing on a long term basis.And,for peoples selling plants,its a real scum!
They buy a extra powerfull plant that in few months fade away...they feel unabl to grow orchids and loose passion...so not to be done.Some giberellins and others can be well used to stimulate new growth and new roots but must be used as an help not a solution.
The use of some hormons,in a right percentage,at the beginning of the vegetative groth,(apply 2-3 times at medium low concentration just before or at the beginning of the vegetative periode),can help in create faster specimen plants,but if done too much,the plant can collapse because of missproportion and uselees organs dimensions compared to the environment.

If you dont use hormons etc,will be worth trying to cross the 3spiked thaianum with the 2 spiked thaianum and see the result...after the outcome all flowered,if other multispiked ones occured,select them and recross them again,to see if the percentage of multispikeing is improving...if that occurs,in 3-4 generations you will end up with a population of all multispikeing thaianums...and possibly that characterisctic can be passed to their hybrids also...so a whole new line of multispikeing paphs...

Thank you Valenzino for your advise.
:):):)

I did cross the 2-spike thaianum with this plant of mine in the pic.
Let's see.

For the 3 spikes we did not success in selfing it this year. Will try again next year.

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Yup keep in mind that Roundup herbicide is just an overdose version of our favorite auxin (or is it cytokinin?).

What doesn't kill you can make you crazy!

Yup keep in mind that Roundup herbicide is just an overdose version of our favorite auxin (or is it cytokinin?).

Ahhhh
This is also new to me.
Have to spend sometimes studying how to use those hormones.

But so bad, i am not in the mood now.
I just lost an old dog last night.
He was too old at age 16. Good for him though.

Yes,like some Russian Male sportsmen that,before the ban of many hormons etc...use to have big tits!!:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Ahhhh
This is also new to me.
Have to spend sometimes studying how to use those hormones.

But so bad, i am not in the mood now.

Sorry about your lost...in my family,dogs and cats are top members of the family and always feel very sad when go missing!Sorry again.

That is very sad about your dog.

We just put down one of our old dogs this past week. She just couldn't get up any more.

She just showed up on our doorstep(lost) on Christmas day in 1997 or 98, and not sure exactly how old she was when she found us.

But these dogs are definitely part of the family.

Thank you Valenzino, Rick and Heather.
Growing paph is much less sadness when the paphs die.

.... But so bad, i am not in the mood now.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Rick too, it's hard not to miss them. Try to think of the good times and that you had him around that long to enjoy!

Thank you Valenzino for your advise.
:):):)

I did cross the 2-spike thaianum with this plant of mine in the pic.
Let's see.

For the 3 spikes we did not success in selfing it this year. Will try again next year.

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

sorry i forgot the pic
:evil::evil::evil:

198091_10150430050865230_802645229_17849125_8125717_n.jpg

Wow,very nice one!I really like this ones with green staminode.
I think is a good try but to right one to do was to do the cross between 2 multispiked one.But still a good try,maybe you will already have good results with this(shurely on shape,is nearly perfect!)

Latest posts

Back