Triple spiking P.thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poozcard

Reaction score
Should discharacteristic be added to the description of P.thaianum?

:drool::drool::drool:

250200_10150607890490230_802645229_18979397_3083727_n.jpg

3 spikes are from the same growth.

253119_10150607890595230_802645229_18979398_5042841_n.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

Pretty crazy.

What growth hormone are they using?:poke::poke::poke:

Unless at least 20% of them do this (in the wild) I wouldn't give it much more than a footnote in the taxonomic description.

Seems like you can make a plant do just about anything in culture.

Haha.
Don't take to too serious.
That is just cool for me to see this.

The greatest things is diversities we have on the earth.
Lots are waiting for you to discover.

Haha.
Don't take to too serious.
That is just cool for me to see this.

The greatest things is diversities we have on the earth.
Lots are waiting for you to discover.

Yes lots to see.

You stay on this site long enough you see lots of crazy things. We've seen this a few times on random plants (usually hybrids). Sometimes we think parasites or some disease in the crown stimulates the crown for additional growth. Sometimes spikes, sometimes a whole new plant.

I think maybe too much fertiliser... Thai growers are known for force-feeding their plants to get many big bloomings.. :D :p What fertiliser are you using for this plant? How often?

Haha, you will not believe until you have the plant in your own collection.
I know the trick too well. :p

:evil::evil::evil:

It looks like the plants from the second colony ( the one that is mixed with pure niveum). I found plants from that colony to be overall bigger and stronger than the 'original' thaianum...

I still wonder if thaianum is a species or just a very poor type of niveum...

Pretty crazy.

What growth hormone are they using?:poke::poke::poke:

Unless at least 20% of them do this (in the wild) I wouldn't give it much more than a footnote in the taxonomic description.

Seems like you can make a plant do just about anything in culture.

The tripple spiking is found as 1 of 2000 flowers we have seen.
But double spiking is aprox. 10 of 2000 (0.5%)

Footnote is find for me in this case. :):):)

The 1st plant in this topic, triple spiking one, is giving some year 1 spikes or 2 spikes or 3 spikes depends on the weather.

Double/Triple spiking plants are found from different collections which has different use of fertiliser.

It looks like the plants from the second colony ( the one that is mixed with pure niveum). I found plants from that colony to be overall bigger and stronger than the 'original' thaianum...

I still wonder if thaianum is a species or just a very poor type of niveum...

I also have dwarf niveums too. The size is quite similar to P.thaianum or a little bit bigger (leaves are shorter than 7cm)

And it is also heard that 1 wild collected niveum can also have double spikes too.

But the fact is, in the mountain we found thaianum, there is not a single plant of niveum. Only Paph.godefroyae fma.leucochilum is found there and the ones that we believe it is a natural hybrid between P.godefroyae fma.leucochilum x P.thaianum.
Those are only 2 plant in that habitat.

And also there are many attributes of thaianum distinct from nivemu such as
Rough leaves surface
Blooming starts 1 month ealier (approx)
Green textured staminode
etc

Those reasons make me believe that it is not a poor form of P.niveum

But I have to accept that P.thaianum is very close cousin of P.niveum.
They are only 2 Brachys having this look when spiking

1. P.thaianum

198491_10150438851605230_802645229_17952834_8115221_n.jpg

2. P.nivemu

199583_10150438852230230_802645229_17952849_3013407_n.jpg

They look like a spout of teakettle. :):)
Or sometimes resembles a swan neck
Very obviously.

i would NOT put that anywhere in a taxonomic description as it is almost certainly not typical, or even close to it. it is some sort of hormone imbalance and likely wont or hasnt yet had the effect on many others and these are just the ones to show it so far. have you been messing around with cytokinins or gibberellins?

As is not a 1 time phenomena,will be worth trying to select the characteristic through breeding(using only plants with that characteristic)...try it?

i would NOT put that anywhere in a taxonomic description as it is almost certainly not typical, or even close to it. it is some sort of hormone imbalance and likely wont or hasnt yet had the effect on many others and these are just the ones to show it so far. have you been messing around with cytokinins or gibberellins?

Even they use cytokinins, I think it has been used widely all over the world.
Have you found this happens with other species?

:confused::confused:

Even they use cytokinins, I think it has been used widely all over the world.
Have you found this happens with other species?

:confused::confused:

Yes, We've had people post multi spikes on this forum before.

Like I said you can create just about anything in the GH or the lab.

Generally has nothing to do with genetics and nothing to do with species status.

.01% not even close to anything but same chance for any paph species. Just about same odds as getting struck by lightning.

Oh that is interesting.
Could you please give me the link? Thx

:rollhappy::rollhappy:

Maybe someone who posted can. I have to go to work in a few minutes and don't have time to search.

At 1 incident per 2000 posts you can tell there would be some digging on this forum:poke::poke:

The thread titles where usually something like "this is wierd" or "is this normal"

Latest posts

Back