Trianaei season

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little naming question. I know that Cattleya trianae 'Mooreana' was a specific cultivar awarded an AM by AOS in 1987. I think the term mooreana then sort of morphed into a descriptor and when you are both using it you are not implying that dodidoki's plant is from that original plant? I have a cross of trianae 'Cashen's' x self that has a heavy flamea pattern with a background color that is darker lavender than what dodidoki is showing. I haven't thought that calling this a mooreana type was as accurate as using the descriptor flamea?

Just a little naming question. I know that Cattleya trianae 'Mooreana' was a specific cultivar awarded an AM by AOS in 1987. I think the term mooreana then sort of morphed into a descriptor and when you are both using it you are not implying that dodidoki's plant is from that original plant? I have a cross of trianae 'Cashen's' x self that has a heavy flamea pattern with a background color that is darker lavender than what dodidoki is showing. I haven't thought that calling this a mooreana type was as accurate as using the descriptor flamea?
Yes, you have right, using this name would be correct only if it is mericlone or division of the original plant.Right name would be flamea but this colour form spreaded with this name over the world, and I bought this one with this tag, too.

Leslie, final shot.Flower is fairly big.🤭
Yes now it looks like the real Mooreana, like mine. I have an original piece. I'll find the pics to post.

Mooreana is only used to designate the original plant, whereas flamea is used to describe flowers with big flares from any other breeding.

So Istvan, this is not an original piece or mericlone of the said plant?

This my flamea, which is a plant from a selfing of 'Cashen's'. Not many from the cross were flamea. Cashen's has a little fit at the lateral petals but not as extensive as this one, so the genes rearrange a bit to augment the flamea.IMG_1663.jpeg

Latest posts

Back