Trays

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Seems as if many people grow phrags in a little bit of standing water. Just curious what types of trays people are using. I've been using Sterilite and Rubbermaid clear plastic storage trays for other species and I've also been using washing machine discharge trays but they don't last all that long. Maybe at tops two years before the sun breaks them down.

I'd like to pick up a few smaller trays for the phrags I have that like to be in trays.

Has anyone any experience with this particular product-
http://www.greenfire.net/hot/H723.html
Supposedly it can stand up to UV rays.

They have a 13" W x 45" L x3" D -White that would be perfect for the shelf I have available in front of some southern exposure windows.

I saw a home made pot that was perfect made out of a gallon milk jug. I'd also be interested in knowing how others are dealing with their phrags that like "wet feet".

Lauren, I've got something very similar if not exactly like your link. I've got 4 of the 8ft. black ones. They're sitting in the garage awaiting set-up. They are VERY sturdy and would stand up very well. Plus, they'd block the sunlight from going through and causing algae bloom in your water. I think they'd work great for you.

Right now I'm using black plastic seedling trays without holes that you can buy at Home Depot. They are very flimsy and I don't recommend them for long term use. But in the interim they work well for me to catch run off water . I grow my phrags in s/h but due to space grow them above my other orchid on shelves. I don't want run off water dripping onto my plants below so I sit them in the trays and the run-off water adds extra humidity and evaporates over a few days.

The homemade jug idea is o.k. but in my opinion, butt ugly if you have to look at it indoors.

Where did you order your trays from that are in your garage?

The black plastic seedling trays are virtually worthless they are so thin. Move those without support of some sort and you risk dumping any plant in them. I've begun to slide a scrap piece of ply wood under the ones still in use to slide them out just like a pizza out of an oven.

Algae bloom has been a recurring problem for me causing me to have to strip down and scrub the clear sterlite and rubbermade containers. That was another reason why I wanted something opaque.

The homemade jug was my husband's favorite. So simple yet fully functional. Not all that attractive though as you mentioned.

Why have them sitting in standing water when you can aerate the water by making it move?
Add a bubbler? Show me a photo of what you're suggesting please.

My trays are at an angle w/ a fluval 1 pump circulating the water in each tray, the pots are on plastic egg-crate at different levels to offset the pitch of the tray. Also to adjust the heights of those that are less aquatic. It's like they're in a babbling brook.

Gimme a photo please if that is at all possible! I am not getting what you are saying.

How do you fill your trays? Do you have any type of a float system like a flush toilet where the tank, or in this particular situation the tray, is automatically refilled? If so, I'd love to know about that.

Nothing so fancy. Sterilite 27 QT. tray pour in water add when low, circulating water reduces algae. May be visible in the growing areas mega-thread, page 13.

Where did you order your trays from that are in your garage?

It's a long story, but it was through a hydoponics store and the man that bought them and made my flow benches sold me them all together.

The black plastic seedling trays are virtually worthless they are so thin. Move those without support of some sort and you risk dumping any plant in them. I've begun to slide a scrap piece of ply wood under the ones still in use to slide them out just like a pizza out of an oven.

Exactly and if you bend them enough they crack.

I eventually will be setting up one of the flow tables for my phrags. It would also work great with c.p's. I've got pumps, tubing etc. to make an ebb and flow. Water will go into the tray sit for however long I want then drain away and do this as many times as I set throughout the day.

Before going to all this trouble, though, I'd just start out with the trays and see how the phrags respond . I don't think there's necessarily a need to over-complicate your growing technique when just starting out. Otherwise you can get overwhelmed quickly.

For the phrags, all I am interested in would be the tray. I would really like one that won't disintegrate on me in a few years and it looks as if the one I found above will be ideal.

For some of my CPs (particularly some aquatic utrics), I am definitely interested in rigging up some sort of a float system that would automatically refill the tanks they are in to overwinter. That way when I leave my husband in charge for a few weeks I won't have to worry about coming home to utrics reduced to a 1/4" of water screaming for their life!

Eric got to talking about "at an angle w/ a fluval 1 pump circulating the water in each tray"- this got me thinking about a way to hook up some sort of a refrigeration system to drop recirculating water temps down for some high altitude heliamphoras that I've always wanted to try that would prefer cool roots in a greenhouse. Sort of off topic but you know how it goes when one plant leads to another to another.

Oh how you have tempted me. :poke:

You have sent me off with my measuring tape to a couple of places in my house. One place would be great. I have a bay window in my kitchen where I have a 9" X 35" tray now. Think how many more I could get into a 13" W x 45" L x3" D tray instead. Only one problem....it would stick out another 5" into my eating area and that would make it just too tight to have a chair in front of it.

Oh, what the heck. I can do without that extra chair. Isn't it amazing what we will do to accommadate our orchids? Orchids before guests, right?

I'm going to call my local hydroponics store and ask if he has that size. I have bought several from him in different sizes so possibly he will have these. I can use a gift certificate, which I have, to get these. I bought a $100.00 certificate for $90.00 from Heather on one of her auctions. Perfect if he has this size.

I also have a couple more of the 9" X 35" which I could replace with the larger ones. I can put the smaller ones in a closet and I'm sure in time I will think of a place to use them.

Now I just need to wait for the store to open so I can call him. OK time, hurry hurry.

Latest posts

Back