Transplanted Cypripedium Acaule Update!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I started trying to grow slipper orchids last year, starting with C. Acaule, C. Formosanum, and C. Parviflorum. Surprisingly, the only ones that are happily growing are my Cypripedium Acuale! I've watched them everyday for the last 3 months, I have 10 which I ordered, I live in the Piedmont region of Western NC. All 10 of my C. Acaule are growing. My C. Parviflorum would still be alive if I didn't move it right before it bloomed... so .. if anyone knows anywhere I could drive to buy one, I don't mind paying 75-90$ for a native yellow slipper or any hybrids haha20210425_164013.jpg

Acaule is the hardest to grow, congrats on your success. You'll have trouble finding cyps for sale just now as they usually don't move them during active growth as it often kills the plants. You'll have more success finding them for sale this fall after they go dormant again.

Acaule is the hardest to grow, congrats on your success. You'll have trouble finding cyps for sale just now as they usually don't move them during active growth as it often kills the plants. You'll have more success finding them for sale this fall after they go dormant again.

Yeah, I notice too when they ship them in a blooming state as well, their buds will dry. I have 10 Pink Lady Slippers now, I also just got in a Parviflorum var Pubescens - that is blooming but it came from Washington, so it's losing its blooms.

I was actually going to see what suggestions people have for a more organic soil mix for slippers like parviflorum and other less difficult slippers. I have my slippers in mostly inorganic mixtures now, but to prove sustainability of cultivation, I wanna do a project to teach local gardeners about how to successfully raise slipper orchids

Attachments

• img_1619740915008.jpg
    img_1619740915008.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 7
Back