tonsum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of the season, nice spike length (62cm), fair shape and colour.

Wow! "Fair shape and colour"? That's the most attractive tonsum I've ever seen. I suppose the extreme point at the top of the dorsal would be considered a fault; but look at those wide petals and that colour! That's so nice, Gary. I hope you use it to make more nice tonsums!

Amazing color on this one, congrats!!!

Lovely leaves as well.

I have a tonsum hybrid with vini maudiae hybrid, and the leaves are gorgeous and the flower stem is also veeeeery long like this one.

Very nice indeed !

In the EU, some nurseries sell a plant with colouring like this as var. cupreum. They differ from the standard variety in more red colour on the flowers, more red speckling under the leaves, more blue/gray green background to mottling on the upper leaf surface and tend to be more compact in growth habit. Your plant looks very much like this variety.

Very nice Gary. Mine is in low bud at the moment.

An underrated species in my opinion. It is so easy to grow as well. Possibly the easiest species in the group.

Thanks all.
I can't comment on its ease of culture. I have been absent from my grow area for a while, so I guess it has grown and bloomed with very little assistance from myself.

Very nice Gary. Mine is in low bud at the moment.

An underrated species in my opinion. It is so easy to grow as well. Possibly the easiest species in the group.

Underrated!
While I'm not too fond of tonsum for its usual dull coloration, this one is superb, and I like what tonsum does to hybrids. It imparts nice glossy texture and good flower size plus the beautiful leaves!

I was once looking at some plants of tonsum as I was very much attracted by the leaves and the small size of the plants. This old lady from my local society goes "oh, but that's tonsum" I did not ask her why but I was curious what the attitude was all about.

While tonsum can often be olive-toned and rather
drab, this one has a lovely rosy overlay to it and
to my eye is very pleasing.
The "point at the dorsal" seems fairly common in
this species, as far as I can tell...this one happens
to be beautifully centered and isn't wonky off to one
side. Well shaped and proportioned, beautifully
coloured and lovely in all respects. Just a great
plant Gary. Jerry

Thanks all.
I can't comment on its ease of culture. I have been absent from my grow area for a while, so I guess it has grown and bloomed with very little assistance from myself.

How long has this been in your collection Gary? Is it of wild provenance from one of your many global wanderings?

Latest posts

Back