Toni Semple

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
Here is my Toni Semple. I really like this plant but it has been such a tease! It's sheath started in March and now it is finally in bloom.

I got a new background to experiment with pictures but they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. So I'll have to play around some more or have someone use a better camera to get better pictures.
The colors are slightly more accurate in the non-flash pictures but the flash pictures are much more crisp.

dTd8qJgl.jpg

Y1xdinOl.jpg

tcWqVmfl.jpg

d1jxkLjl.jpg

uH4kLDel.jpg

thanks everyone--I'm really pleased with it too and will make sure to get some good pictures when all 5 flowers are open. It is the second growth to spike but the first one to flower as the last spike blasted.

I don't remember where I got the plant but it is from the Paph lowii "Compact" x haynaldianum "Tyler" JF 1550 cross.

And like SlipperKing pointed out, it has what seems a pretty big dorsal for its type at a tad over 4.4cm.

Hrmm...what's the natural spread and petal width? 4.4cm dorsal is bigger than most awarded ones.

I will have to double check when I get home tonight but I think its natural spread is around 14cm and petal width is about 2.2cm.

better pictures!

I had a friend come over last weekend to take some better pictures so here they are with 4 of the 5 flowers open (all 5 are now open but I don't have a camera that can take as good of pictures)
2HSlEb0h.jpg

It is a massive spike measuring 28"/71cm to the first flower and about 5"/12.5cm between the first and second flower.
eObRp6Ih.jpg

lvGfVH3h.jpg

0ESxblPh.jpg

Very very nice. I would probably take that to judging if it were mine.

I have never taken a plant for judging but would be very tempted to with this one. Unfortunately, I think the timing is going to be off for this blooming. Also, the first flower has one of its petals twisted which can be spotted in the picture that shows the whole spike and part of the plant. I think it was the way it was oriented with the window and I think both petals were trying to "face" the sun.

Latest posts

Back