Tolumnia sylvestris

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I got this from Botanica about 4 years ago. It grows quite well, but I'm guessing that it is hard to give enough light under artificial light. So it usually doesn't produce lots of flowers for me, but I'm happy as long as it flowers. It was growing within 6" or so from a T8 LED bulb. But some of them grew above the fixture, and it made the long stem sticking up. The photos are taken at the end of August, but I haven't had time to process.
P8240005.jpgP8240024.jpgP8240042.jpgP8240051.jpg

A beauty, but temperamental. Have grown tolumnias for close to ten years, with greatly varying successes. Have grown them on limestone, wooden plaques, tree fern totems and tree fern plaques. Have attached photo of Tolumnia Jairak Flyer 'Brown Oak' which has been blooming for a month or so.DSCN5791.JPG

Beautiful flower! What is it growing in?

Peter, it came mounted on a small cork bark (about 2.5"x1.5") with a couple fans. After the photos, I remounted to a bigger piece of cedar shingle.

Have you tried Mike's two-pot system?

Linus, no, I haven't tried that. It looks like an interesting system. I haven't thought of growing Tolumnia in a pot, but I might try a pot with a division (it occasionally divide by itself).

I got this from Botanica about 4 years ago. It grows quite well, but I'm guessing that it is hard to give enough light under artificial light. So it usually doesn't produce lots of flowers for me, but I'm happy as long as it flowers. It was growing within 6" or so from a T8 LED bulb. But some of them grew above the fixture, and it made the long stem sticking up. The photos are taken at the end of August, but I haven't had time to process.
View attachment 29904View attachment 29905View attachment 29906View attachment 29907
It must be a real challenge to grow them in Alaska, well done.

wow~ had no idea it "stands up" so tall like that!
Yes, the top growth is weird. It's from the weird set up. The shoot grew above the light (since the main plant is growing at a touching distance from the light, and started to etiolate toward another light source which is at a higher location.

Latest posts

Back