Told I couldn't grow it.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
This Orchid I have wanted for a long time ( years). I found one on ebay for a reasonable price. I read the cultural notes and asked growers of the plant and they all said my conditions didn't suit, not hot enough. Well, I had the plant for 2 years ( approx' ) The original mix I had it in didn't work, no roots, so I potted it into a new one and this is the results.
Its Den. dearii. Supposed to grow hot hot hot, well, its not. Its in with the Paphs, Phrags, Ascda & Vanda etc.
index_001-4.jpg

Roy,

Nice job. One of my long time favorites also. But then I'm particularly fond of white/green orchids.

Have been running a similar experiment with a flask of seedlings for about a year and a half growing in LFS. Wondering what the mix was that you transfered to that works so well in less than ideal conditions? Any other tips you might have would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

charlie c

Roy,

Have been running a similar experiment with a flask of seedlings for about a year and a half growing in LFS. Wondering what the mix was that you transfered to that works so well in less than ideal conditions? Any other tips you might have would be appreciated too.
charlie c

Charlie, I was using a composted & graded orchid pine bark only, like the rest of the plants but it was not good after 12mths. I repotted all plants including this one into another composted pine bark ( actually a fine mulching bark, throughing out the bad bits ) added scoria ( red volcanic rock) 4 parts bark, 1 scoria and away we go. I also hung the plant close to the roof.

Nice............I've always found that it is easier to bloom warm growers under cooler conditions than it is to grow cool growers under warm conditions....Eric

Back