Tokyo Orchid Nursery Roths

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
cont from orchid inn list thread. If mods could move those posts would be great.

Here is roth 'Tarantula' DS 7.5, NS 39, PW 2.3

PaphrothschildianumT2.jpg

rothschildianumTarantula.png.jpeg

Yes, Tarantula is absolutely amazing. But I think you would really need to see it in person to fully appreciate the size of the flowers. 39 cm NS is astonishing, especially given the petals sweep down. Photos can never do that size justice.

I like the color and fullness of Raptor, the petal width is amazing! But the NS of Tarantula is to die for. I've not seen Tokyo Fantasy and I can't find anything on it. I've got to say, when it comes to roths, for me color and petal width come before NS and DW. Just my opinion. And in that regard I hold Raptor to a higher standard.

That being said, I've never seen either in person, and basing an opinion off of pics is a far cry from the most informative way to form an opinion. It's like Fredclarkeara After Dark. When pics are all that were out there people went nuts. After seeing many in bloom, the luster and magic just don't translate well.

Again, just my opinion.

I like the color and fullness of Raptor, the petal width is amazing! But the NS of Tarantula is to die for. I've not seen Tokyo Fantasy and I can't find anything on it. I've got to say, when it comes to roths, for me color and petal width come before NS and DW. Just my opinion. And in that regard I hold Raptor to a higher standard.

That being said, I've never seen either in person, and basing an opinion off of pics is a far cry from the most informative way to form an opinion. It's like Fredclarkeara After Dark. When pics are all that were out there people went nuts. After seeing many in bloom, the luster and magic just don't translate well.

Again, just my opinion.

They have the same petal width.

Raptor has inferior shape. Look at the slight hooding of the dorsal. Synsepal also slightly curves and pinches as well. There is also some recurvature that many roths do as it leaves the center at the inferior edge of petal.

Tarantula has a clearer backround and a darker more saturated pouch. Much better synsepal, shape and stance. It is much larger in every dimension except petal width where they are the same.

I am not putting Raptor down. It is a great clone. I own the clone. Just Tarantula and Tokyo Fantasy are better. Full disclosure I own those too.

Machan has seen these clones bloom many times and has an excellent talent for seeing quality. He states,

"I think our best rothschildianum was Tarantula" "I think Tarantula is still best flower of my life"

He also says Tokyo fantasy is second best.

impressive,no matter for common mortals.
the only thing that I can do is admire so great beauty.
Anna

I've never seen Machan use 'Tokyo Fantasy' in breeding, what a beautiful plants it is though

He has. I have a few blooming size plants. They were some of his early second generation crosses.

Latest posts

Back