• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokyo Orchid Nursery flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit:I was certainly not clear about the "hand carry" rule for US origin plants, but I did hear a few Canadian hobbyists could not bring in(in car) Madagascar (origin)/wild Angreacoids without legal papers and few other incidents, such as Redland show story. So, not all the plants you purchase in US can be brought in Canada without papers, you can't bring all plants into US without some legal documents either.

To clarify.... Plants being carried into Canada without a permit must originate from the USA. To originate from the USA the plants must have been grown in the USA for a minimum of 12 months if they were first imported into the USA. The Madagascar plants you reference were simply traveling through the USA in transit so they did not qualify for the "no permit" option.

Also it makes a difference what state in the USA the plants originate from, example, plants from California require a phytosanitary permit and New York does not.

To clarify.... Plants being carried into Canada without a permit must originate from the USA. To originate from the USA the plants must have been grown in the USA for a minimum of 12 months if they were first imported into the USA.

Lance, if the plants are from a private collector, how can one prove the US origin without invoice or receipts?

Lance, if the plants are from a private collector, how can one prove the US origin without invoice or receipts?

Unless the inspectors suspect something is not right they would probably not ask for a receipt. Border inspectors are trained to detect smuggled items. You can assume they are well aware when there is a Redlands type show in the USA and they know that Canadians are probably going to try to sneak in non USA grown plants. Remember that all the plants imported and sold at the show are listed on import USA permits and Canada probably gets a notice.

And consider that if you show up at the border with 50 plants that have high value they probably will assume they may be moving with a sale in mind. So show them receipts from USA growers and all should be fine. But wild collected madagascar plants? Does Madagascar give collecting/export permits for orchids? At the very least it would cause suspicion.

Remember even though a permit is not required you must declare the plants to Customs and submit them for inspection if the agents want to check them.

Just remember your own basic advice.... if you are importing them into Canada for sale or barter then a permit is required.

Lance, as far I know, those Angreacoids from Madagascar are wild plants. Do they have permit to collect them? I don't know but I have doubt, at least not all. Do they have permit to export them, I would say yes. It seems both ends had permits.

Any Canadian members want to express their opinions/details on such "hand carry" rules or share their experiences? I would say the Canadian members would know a bit more........

Lots of great info here. Thanks guys. I am learning a lot. I am planning to go to the US to attend one of these shows. What would be the best in terms of paph plants/flasks for sale?

I have not had to prove US origin. BTW, all plants with import permits are on a list. Orchid Inn, Ltd. Has a good flask list.

Last edited:
Also if you buy orchids that have been recently imported they've usually been folded and packed into boxes and look like they've been stuffed in a box. An orchid that was grown in the U.S. likely won't have that look plus really short roots that may have been trimmed before importing to remove media or mount
Meaning plants inspected at border that look happy and rooty likely came from us and others with certain look likely were boxed and recently imported and may get disqualified

Elmer Nj

Back