• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokyo Orchid Nursery flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
I hope I am posting this in the right section. How does someone in Canada acquire flasks/plants from Tokyo Orchid Nursery? Any leads guys? Thanks.

If Canada is the same as the US (which I suspect it is more or less), flasks are not so difficult to import. So you could do it directly. Paperwork and risk is much worse for plants.
I have received flasks in the US from TON by EMS mail and they arrived in perfect condition.
JC

I hope I am posting this in the right section. How does someone in Canada acquire flasks/plants from Tokyo Orchid Nursery? Any leads guys? Thanks.

John, you know that Canada is far less restrictive than the USA when it comes to importing plants, don't you!?

It may seem so but not really true in terms of regulations, Eric. Some Canadian orchid-hobbyist just like to play the Russian Roulete game. That's all!

I have been going through the same process with TON. I asked Machan if he would be able to send a couple of flasks to New Zealand and he very kindly offered. The only catch was that the cost to send if you need a phyto was around $350. Due to the very high cost already of the flasks themselves I will wait until he has something special and possibly put a big order in with a few others here. In summary yes they will send them and Machan is very pleasant to deal with.

OK, when you can just take the bark off the roots and transport plants across the border into the USA I might agree with you. :p

That doesn't mean it is legal, Eric! Without paper works, the authority will call that smuggling............. Again, some people like to live dangerously while they have very little to lose. :rolleyes:

You meant you brought plants into U.S or into Canada without papers? You got lucky, Eric. The Agents may not know what it is. I agree it is a loose border but regulations are written and enforceable. Breaking the laws will have consequence. Good luck in the future.

And I strongly suggest people to follow the regulations for importing or exporting orchids. Google it and you will find a lot of info posted by the authorities.

I have been going through the same process with TON. I asked Machan if he would be able to send a couple of flasks to New Zealand and he very kindly offered. The only catch was that the cost to send if you need a phyto was around $350. Due to the very high cost already of the flasks themselves I will wait until he has something special and possibly put a big order in with a few others here. In summary yes they will send them and Machan is very pleasant to deal with.

One of the reasons for going to the Tokyo show - pick them up, bring them home.

The Agents may not know what it is. I agree it is a loose border but regulations are written and enforceable. Breaking the laws will have consequence. Good luck in the future.

And I strongly suggest people to follow the regulations for importing or exporting orchids. Google it and you will find a lot of info posted by the authorities.

Are you refering to entering into the USA or entering into Canada? I believe Eric is speaking about carrying plants into Canada as being easier than into the USA.

Are you refering to entering into the USA or entering into Canada? I believe Eric is speaking about carrying plants into Canada as being easier than into the USA.

What is the diff? Either way will require some paper works/permits. That is what it has been unless someone can show me some documents that say you don't need paper works/permit to import or export orchids now. Canada and the States have similar regulations as far I know.

What is the diff? Either way will require some paper works/permits. That is what it has been unless someone can show me some documents that say you don't need paper works/permit to import or export orchids now. Canada and the States have similar regulations as far I know.

Does Canada have some recent law changes? In the past it was legal to carry in small quantities of orchids without bark for personal non commercial use without a required permit. That is very different from the USA law.

Lance, I believe that was in the old days. After CITES, things have changed a bit. correct me if I am wrong, even the Canadian hobbyists now will have to hide the plants when they come back to Canada from U.S. if they don't have papers.

Few years ago, the Canadian gov't even gave someone a huge fine for bringing in some dry/dead Dendrobium canes without papers--(to sell them as Chinese or Vietnamese medicine)

Does Canada have some recent law changes? In the past it was legal to carry in small quantities of orchids without bark for personal non commercial use without a required permit. That is very different from the USA law.

Well, those of you who got the plants I carried to Canada the last 2 years, now know how lucky we were. :p

OK. BTW, a vendor told me that the only papers the border wanted coming into the US from Canada were sales receipts now; honus on the vendor for import legality! (Maybe phyto also..)

Latest posts

Back