Tokyo Dome Gold Medal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theorchidzone

Reaction score
Only Gold Medal at the show. From Tokyo Orchid Nursery. Congrats.
This is Martian Man X Stone Lovely, I believe. It has been registered but I forgot the name.
This one is approx 17-18cm NS.
And on a small plant.
JC

I going to say, a parvi cross. Pretty cool to me. The looks like it has a horn or two on it. Does anyone know if it does?

I'm not keen on the 'parvi' lips on this type of cross.

I really agree with you. The weak dorsal and synsepal that come with the breeding are not ideal for me either. Im not sure what the advantage is over normal complexes. It almost seems like a step back. The breeders have worked so hard to create fullness. Maybe future generations will benefit.

In case anyone is wondering; Paph. Martian Man = Paph. Emerald Sea x malipoense. So the plant shown is 25% mallipoense and 75% complex green.

Robert

Lame. There are better complex out there. The good point is that their price won't skyrocket.

I think far too much emphasis is being placed on the size ( N.S. ) of the flowers to the detriment of the overall shape. This is a prime example.

I think far too much emphasis is being placed on the size ( N.S. ) of the flowers to the detriment of the overall shape. This is a prime example.
Agreed. NS is much easier to achieve than fullness of flower. To get a 17 cm ns complex, that is not that difficult as getting a very well shaped 15 cm flower. There have been wide complexes for long time now. It is the fullness that have taken strong breeding efforts. Judges love to get the ruler out though. It is much harder to appreciate what is rarer, desirable and difficult to achieve from a breeding Standpoint than just measuring.

I'm glad you like it. You could have purchased a division of it for $5400 USDs
in Dec./2013. With it's recent GM award it would have been a great investment.

I like it.
Full round shape and etc is not pleasing to everyone's eyes, and fashion changes.

People can like whatever they want but it is not rare that is part of the point. You can like a KIA and say the new La ferrari is ugly but it is rare and fits the industry experts opinion more of what a hyper car should be. You want to compare a mclaren P1 or the new koenisegg that is coming out or a pagani huayra I can see that. Much of that is taste. They are all rare and fits experts opinion of what a hyper car should be. If you like the KIA best you are in luck they make 100s of thousands of them and probably no experts find them appealing compared to the other cars. They make less than 500 La ferraris total and I think around 300 P1s. You can buy KIA real cheap. I don't know maybe KIA is not a fair comparison. Lets say ferrari california, the new one of course. They made a bunch of them but they are no where near a hyper car looks, rarity or performance. They are still a nice car.

I guess the people that matter are the buyers. You have two people on here who would actually be in the market for that high end flower that don't like it. That is a problem if it resonates through out the small group who would be in the market for this flower. Ive passed on many costly versions of this cross and its parent from Machan. That is not to say Machan isn't an amazing breeder and have fantastic stuff because TON does. They are one of the best, along with the orchid zone in my opinion. Ive gotten quite a bit from TON. I just don't like this type of flower for the type of money they are being marketed for. Is it a nice flower? Yes absolutely. Is it the best of the best? Not to me.

I like it.
Full round shape and etc is not pleasing to everyone's eyes, and fashion changes.
I am not trying to take away from what you like. Everyone likes what they like. I guess the price is the sticking point for me. Cant charge tons for something that is not super rare. Martian man was really a novelty and I guess you can price it as such. I could kind of see that. This is a complex and I have seen more complexes with similar proportions than full round large ones.

Paphioland- I see what you're saying, but I think you went a bit too serious. haha

Also, this is not the "typical" complex because of its parvi parent, so comparing this with other complex made out of paphiopedilum insigne types is not fair, but rather it should be compared with others of its similar kind. That said, many of this kind of paring turn out with much narrower dorsal due to parvi influence and this particular flower therefore is quite success.

Regarding the size, I think 18cm is really large, not that I'm into the size as long as it's over 13cm, they look quite impressive to my eyes.

Last, I'm not a breeder nor a millionaire, hence, would never pay such amount of money on a plant. lol

Latest posts

Back