Today I learned the hard way that...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orthonex melts permanent marker ink.

I decided to spray my parvis briefly and ended up blurring all their tags. Luckily, I had the armeniacums and micranthums in lines, because they're virtually impossible to tell apart when not in flower.

Anyone else?

--Stephen

Really, Stephen I never knew that but I found that a dark pencil works better on labels than anything else for me.I found that the indelible inks wash off after a period of time.Often I will double tag with one label right behind the other so that one willl stay clear if something happens to the 1st one..Sometimes I forget tho' :rollhappy:

Wow that sucks. It might be your brand of marker. I spread with Orthenex three times this spring without any problems.

If you like I can check the brand and model of my marker for you.

kyle

Last week I learned that those rubber dish washing gloves, the ones I wear when spraying with orthonex to protect my skin, if you leave them sitting on the balcony in the sun, they actually melt. All over your throw rug and all over your kitchen pot that you've been using to mix medium in. And it doesn't come off.

Pencil is the best. Tried all sorts of maker and pen, nothing work best. Although I have found problem with poor quality lable the smuges pencil.

Well, I think if they're not in flower and you know they're parvi, then don't worry! :p

I've found that H2O2 does the same thing. And, I've got about 15 paphs (armeniacums and micranthums) that I'll have to wait till bloom to be absolutely sure. Most are armeniacums (based on keeping them together). I've gone to pencil now for all my tags, as others have testified.

I too learned that even Sharpies and other 'indelible' and 'no fade' markers can't be trusted. I am amazed at how well pencil stands up. I learned this only after several fairly expensive high quality seedlings became NOIDs.

For me pencil has resisted soaps, a variety of pesticides, sun, HID lamps and algae.

gary

gary said:
I too learned that even Sharpies and other 'indelible' and 'no fade' markers can't be trusted. I am amazed at how well pencil stands up. ... For me pencil has resisted soaps, a variety of pesticides, sun, HID lamps and algae.

gary

Me, too.

gary said:
I too learned that even Sharpies and other 'indelible' and 'no fade' markers can't be trusted. I am amazed at how well pencil stands up. I learned this only after several fairly expensive high quality seedlings became NOIDs.

For me pencil has resisted soaps, a variety of pesticides, sun, HID lamps and algae.

gary

Me, three.

Back