• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted To start a serious slipper collection in EUROPE

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefrog

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am starting a slipper collection again! I am in Europe (well in French Guiana which is a department of FRANCE). From what I understand, the main European nurseries are Exotic Plant Company, Asendorfer, Wichmann and Schwerter. Am I missing some others? Exotic Plant Company seems to have the best selection and most of the plants are blooming size or mature which is exactly what I search for now (I’m not young anymore)
Something that surprised me in these vendors’ catalogues is that the parentage grass of the plants are not specified. I am more used to the North American (used to live in Canada) catalogues listing the long list of grass, award, etc., of each parent. What can I expect in terms of plant quality? I assume the selection of parent plants must have been done at some points?
All in all, I’m really interested in knowing where members purchase their plants in Europe. Moreover, if some members have plants, seedlings and flasks available, please contact me in MP.
Cheers,
Math

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am starting a slipper collection again! I am in Europe (well in French Guiana which is a department of FRANCE). From what I understand, the main European nurseries are Exotic Plant Company, Asendorfer, Wichmann and Schwerter. Am I missing some others? Exotic Plant Company seems to have the best selection and most of the plants are blooming size or mature which is exactly what I search for now (I’m not young anymore)
Something that surprised me in these vendors’ catalogues is that the parentage grass of the plants are not specified. I am more used to the North American (used to live in Canada) catalogues listing the long list of grass, award, etc., of each parent. What can I expect in terms of plant quality? I assume the selection of parent plants must have been done at some points?
All in all, I’m really interested in knowing where members purchase their plants in Europe. Moreover, if some members have plants, seedlings and flasks available, please contact me in MP.
Cheers,
Math
I have paphs from Asendorfer and Exotic Plant Company. They are good quality, with multiple growths. I think they complement each other in terms of species available. I also bought paphs from Orchids and more (not so many species). Schwerter also has some and the orchids in general are nice.

One year ago I got several paphs from Schwerter and now they are almost all blooming. Healthy plants, low prices I'm satisfied with them. The quality of the flowers, even if they are not awarded clones Is quite good. Don't know if they ship to French Guiana though.

I have paphs from Asendorfer and Exotic Plant Company. They are good quality, with multiple growths. I think they complement each other in terms of species available. I also bought paphs from Orchids and more (not so many species). Schwerter also has some and the orchids in general are nice.

One year ago I got several paphs from Schwerter and now they are almost all blooming. Healthy plants, low prices I'm satisfied with them. The quality of the flowers, even if they are not awarded clones Is quite good. Don't know if they ship to French Guiana though.

Many thanks for your imput! Very interesting! I will order the plants when I'm in France and bring them back legally to French Guiana in my luggage.

Many thanks for your imput! Very interesting! I will order the plants when I'm in France and bring them back legally to French Guiana in my luggage.
That's the best option for you!

You forgot a couple: Popow, though at the moment their internet shop is closed in the wake of Boscha's (Popow senior) death.
(Leslie - Dr.LeslieE in these pages - is corresponding with Alexej, the son, who is going to reopen after some time).

A 'Geheimtip' is Orchideenhaus Asien from whom I've bought very good quality Paphs for very reasonable prices. They only have some of their plants online, so It's always a good idea to ask, if you are looking for something special. Charisma Hampel, who is taking care of their online shop is always very friendly and helpfull in communication: Exclusive orchids from Asia | Orchidhouse Asia
This plant I got from them as a well grown NBS plant (if they characterize plants as BS or NBS, it's because the plants are - and not as with so many other vendors: Bullshit Size or Near Bullshit Size!). It earned itself a Silvermedal the year after I got it:20211023_125223.jpg20211121_142755.jpg
P. Shen Hung Wild Cat 'Yellow Valley Winter Joy' (bellatulum x anitum)

Very high quality plants can be bought from Franz Glanz at Wößner Orchideen. Nothing online, but you have to write.

I have also had a few good plants from 'Orchids and More' (very fairly priced), mentioned above.

If you happen to visit the Greater Copenhagen Area, good quality, sometimes even rare Paphs can also be bought from my friend and mentor in all things orchidiadic, Hans Christiansen, in Fredensborg. Again his homepage shows, but a pittance of the selection in his greenhouses:
https://orchidegartneriet.dkSo again ask, if you are on the lookout for something in particular. The homepage is in Danish, but Hans or his wife, Heurlin, communicates in English via mail.
(For the record: Hans first participated in WOC (World Orchid Congress) in Malaysia in 2002 and had 28 exhibited plants awarded and his Bulbophyllum Phalaenopsis was named Champion of the show. The albinistic form of P. hennisianum was first discovered in his GH and fittingly named after him as fma. christiansenii. Likewise in the department of Phrags, Gruß et al. named a plant after him: Phragmipedium christansenianum).

Lastly: Sam Tsui of Orchid Inn (USA) and mrs. Wenqing Perner of Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology (China) once in a while visits Europe and take preorders ahead of visits. You can sign up to receive mail notifications for preorders from either. Plants are shipped barerooted and have always been of good quality.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC, many thanks to all for the great advices!!!! I'm already making my wishlist for my next trip next month to France!!!

OrchidHouse Asia , NEVER AGAIN !!!!!
I ordered from them once last year, got all dying and dead plants from them. I'm still waiting for an answer to any of my emails. I spend a lot of money on that order and simply would like my money back. Send them pictures within 24 hours of the arrival of the plants. never heard back from them !!!!!! For me they belong to the group of sellers that must be prosecuted and never been allowed to trade anywhere in the world again. Such people belong n jail, not running scam businesses. Even thinking of them makes my blood boil. They are top of the scam artists !!!!!

Yep, sorry to have to mention this.

If you want true species or good hybrids, you can try Akerne Orchids. It's a family run orchid nursery with very high quality plants. The Paph. & Phrag. section has not that many plants in it at the moment but there will be more in future months. They certainly will send to France.
I personally can highly recommend them since I've known the owners for over 35 years. They were the ones that helped me get started with orchids in the best possible and honest way. Back then they too were just very experienced orchid collectors and growers. Since two years now, their son took over the business. 90% of what they offer are divisions or seedlings of their own plants that have been in their private collection for all these years. I visit them almost monthly, sometimes to just have a chat about orchids and growing them. They don't release plants until they are absolutely sure they are established in their pots.

While searching for P. helenae recently I came in contact with The Exotic Plant Company. The owner seems to be very helpful and honest. I ordered a few plants from them and we'll see how they are but I've read good reviews here on this forum.
These I ordered:
- Paphiopedilum helenae
- Paphiopedilum vietnamense
- Paphiopedilum thaianum
- Paphiopedilum druyi
If I were you, I would take a look at their web shop. They have quite a lot of Paph's, both species and hybrids Most plants are imported from Asia.
Their greenhouses are in the Netherlands so shipping to France would certainly not be a problem.

About you question on AOS nominations, this is something that's almost not done in Europe, with the exception of judgings by RHS sometimes. Here we mainly note the origin of the specific plants and if they were awarded plants by the AOS, this will be noted with the name.

Good luck starting your Paph. collection. I started mine last year and is growing slowly. It took me over 35 years to finally buy my first Paph. after I was given a Phragmepedium kovachii as a Birthday gift last year.

OrchidHouse Asia , NEVER AGAIN !!!!!
I ordered from them once last year, got all dying and dead plants from them. I'm still waiting for an answer to any of my emails. I spend a lot of money on that order and simply would like my money back. Send them pictures within 24 hours of the arrival of the plants. never heard back from them !!!!!! For me they belong to the group of sellers that must be prosecuted and never been allowed to trade anywhere in the world again. Such people belong n jail, not running scam businesses. Even thinking of them makes my blood boil. They are top of the scam artists !!!!!
That's really strange...I've NEVER experienced any problems like that with them?! 😲
Even though I've ordered quite a lot of plants of theirs. There have been a mishap or two, but everytime cleared up fast and very friendly - one time after I sent a photo of the plant, that succumbed to rot during transport (and after a delay in the Danish postal "service"!); the other time there was a mix up regarding the size ordered and the size received. As I said, everything solved swift, friendly and without an acrimonious word being uttered.
I wonder, whether it might help your case to write to miss Hampel directly: [email protected]?

I've never myself dealt with Akerme, but heard nice things about them from people in my orchid society, who did. Cramer Orchideen another reputable family business: Shop

What concerns Exotic Plant Company, I and several others here seem to have only good experiences with them (as can be seen from several threads). Michael Tibbs, who - at least at our end - runs the business, seems to be doing a lot of travelling, so if you are in France only for a limited time, it might be a good idea to make arrangements about delivery some time ahead of your journey.

Kind regards,
Jens

After writing my last entry I actually opened my last order from Orchidhouse Asia, that came with the post earlier today. Carefully packed and all plants in fine shape:

20220422_171447.jpg20220422_171506.jpg20220422_172121.jpg
And just for the record: I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
That's really strange...I've NEVER experienced any problems like that with them?! 😲
Even though I've ordered quite a lot of plants of theirs. There have been a mishap or two, but everytime cleared up fast and very friendly - one time after I sent a photo of the plant, that succumbed to rot during transport (and after a delay in the Danish postal "service"!); the other time there was a mix up regarding the size ordered and the size received. As I said, everything solved swift, friendly and without an acrimonious word being uttered.
I wonder, whether it might help your case to write to miss Hampel directly: [email protected]?

I still have the pics to prove my point, I think. As I said, never again !!! An order of over € 100 as a test and got the worst you can imagine.
Don't trust them anymore, I'm done with them. I often do group orders for over € 700 from different EU nurseries but always do a test order first. Orchid House Asia didn't make the cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A week ago, I send them an email about something else, from an other email account. did you got an answer, well I didn't!

I've been in contact with The exotic Plant company, answers within 24 hours, very helpful + I saw on YouTube they send to the USA too, so you might be lucky there.
I'm expecting Paphs from them soon. Michael was very helpful.

Akerne, I only can fully recommend them.

After writing my last entry I actually opened my last order from Orchidhouse Asia, that came with the post earlier today. Carefully packed
And just for the record: I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

I ordered dendrochilums, leaves were falling of and when taking them out of the pot, all roots were dried up and dead. Same with the Cattleya irricolor and Amesiella philippinensis I ordered. No delay in shipping!

Last edited:
Hi Math,
I lived both in French Guiana and Guadeloupe. If you want to bring legally some plants from Europe, you'll need a phyto certificate...
You'll have also a high-pH issue with almost any potting mix in tropical/equatorial climate, due to roots activity. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Stéphane

Hi Brachy,

Another one from French Guiana! This is amazing. Are there others?

Regarding the importation of orchids from the European union, you don't need any phyto (at least for French Guiana, I don't know about Guadalupe). I just confirmed this information with the DAAF (authority for plants importation). However, for importing from other countries (USA, Canada, Asia, etc.), you will need a phyto. These informations are also available in the arrêté du 3 septembre 1990.

Regarding the high-pH, I will try to mimic as much as possible the substrate the Paphiopedilum has in SE Asia. They also come from an equatorial climate so it should be possible. I have to investigate this problem i more depth.

Cheers,

I second Guidal's words about ORCHID HOUSE ASIA, had a very good experience with them.

Latest posts

Back