Quantcast

To stake or not to stake? Lowii spiking habit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

MarioQ

Reaction score
Well, it seems that I’m doing it well. My first lowii blooming (well, I bought it as lowii, we will see) but I’m doubting if staking or not. I prefer to not staking my orchids, but I’m confused that I see lowii pics in internet and they are upright or horizontal and here I would have a beautiful cascade spike. Maybe not a lowii? The tag says lowii ‘Uncle Frank’ x ‘Hsinying’. Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

musa

Reaction score
I never stake anything. I like the pendant form of the peduncle as it is the more natural form. Paph. flowers are never upright growing but hanging from cliffs etc.
But I think I'm the minority with that opinion. Of course you'll have a higher risk of breaking or damaging the flower stem.
Im my case upright inflorescences would grow right into the lamps and burn (growing on shelves) and therefor I'm glad about pendant forms...

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Plants in nature have to produce stems strong enough to hold their heavy blooms against the wind, rain and insect weight. Some are pendant and some are arching upwards, erect in others.

In the case of your lowii, there is no need for staking as the stem has evolved to hold the flowers under any conditions.

However, the only reason I stake my lowii is because the plant is top heavy and may tip over with the heavy flowers and damaged them. That would be really disappointing. Another reason is for better presentation to the viewer.

If either of those conditions is not an issue with you, the plant can be left alone, free will and all LOL.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
I never stake anything......
So do I, with the exceptions Leslie wrote about. Sometimes during the development/erecting of the flower stem it's helpful to give it something it could lean on for a while but I would'nt name this 'staking'.

Last edited:

Latest posts