To fan or not?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Doug

Would a fan still be beneficial in a relatively dry indoor growing area containing species paphs? Although the house is heated by hot water via radiators the humidity is usually just around 40%, only exceeding that on rainy days. I water twice a week and hand mist twice daily. I'm concerned that a fan would just increase the drying out. From May thru Oct. the plants are outdoors so this just concerns the cooler months.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I think the bigger question should be how to increase the humidity around the plants.

40% is pretty low for most species over the winter months. I would:

1) Try to enclose a space around the orchids (maybe even with plastic sheeting)
2) Add some kind of room humidifier or foggers.
3) Add some small fans to circulate the air in the enclosed space.

I'd shoot for a minimum of 60% RH.

You might try searching some of the threads on this topic as there have been some pretty innovative ways folks have come up with improving their indoor environment.

My humidifier has a three speed fan and an automatic setting for humidity. It works well in a small room, 8 X 10. It sits on the floor and has 4 1/2 gallon capacity.

i always say fan. wind builds plant 'muscles' so the plants are stronger. (that's why some indoor plants can't support themselves as there's no wind to make 'em strong...)

In this instance the use of humidifiers, automatic misters, plastic sheeting etc. is not an option. So my question is whether adding air flow via a fan in a relativley dry environment {40-50% humidity} is a good idea or not. Are there any window sill growers out there using a fan without the additon of humidifiers, misters etc?
Thanks for the replys....

In this instance the use of humidifiers, automatic misters, plastic sheeting etc. is not an option. So my question is whether adding air flow via a fan in a relativley dry environment {40-50% humidity} is a good idea or not. Are there any window sill growers out there using a fan without the additon of humidifiers, misters etc?
Thanks for the replys....
My sunroom without the humidifier I added this Fall, sounds like it has similar conditions to yours. I have always had a ceiling fan going all the time, plus an oscillating floor fan. I don't think the air flow causes thing to dry out more quickly, plus the air movement is good for the plants.

I keep fans going on low on my light garden 24 hrs/day, even though humidity is only 40% most of the time....since its in a corner of the room, I feel that it has to be better with air movement than without...besides, it would get hotter when the lights are on.....Take care, Eric

My vote would be FAN. With a fan the air movement gets air down into your potting mix, so you get better roots. Also with a fan you get more uniform wet to dry cycles, easier to predict when you need water. If you are on a windowsill, a fan is essential to keep leaves cool when direct sun comes in through the windows. All in all, regardless of the low humidity, you will see an improvement in your plants if you add fan(s). I try to have enough fans that I get movement in my thin leaved plants.

Latest posts

Back