Tired of the "our records indicate you have never posted"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tikva

and we suggest you post an intro first. I'm quite the rule follower so HI!!!! :rollhappy:

I ran into Heather at my first local orchid society meeting. It was great!

I bought my first orchid in February and now have about 30. :p And I need more. I'm in the "buy anything that seems like a deal" mode right now, but that has found me some heartache and trouble with not well plants. I'm more paranoid but still needing my orchid fix so I still get suckered into "it's a deal!" deals... :eek:
I have a few Paphs and one Phrag now - my Phrag China Dragon is in spike and I'm so nervous. I can see the bud thru the leaf case (unsure of technical terms...) but it's just not popping out! I hope it's well and healthy and excited to come out soon!
Guess that's about it. I'm not "slipper crazy" and want ALL of the neat orchids that aren't found locally. I love tiny! I want Heather's Mexipedium for sure haha!!!
I've been reading posts here and enjoying it.... thanks for the info and I LOVE seeing all of the pictures!
K

The "you have never posted" message seems to work just fine. You posted! :)

Welcome to the forum. If you like tiny orchids from far away, you need a Neofinetia falcata. Little green gems from Japan that bloom flowers that smell like sweet vanilla and coconut.

PHRAG said:
Welcome to the forum. If you like tiny orchids from far away, you need a Neofinetia falcata. Little green gems from Japan that bloom flowers that smell like sweet vanilla and coconut.

Hey Tikva welcome. That Heather is a bad influence!

Vanilla??really??? is it strong?? how long do the flowers last? I gave up a shot at an untagged 8 growth Neofinetia falcata for 30.00 :( .

Marco said:
Vanilla??really??? is it strong?? how long do the flowers last? I gave up a shot at an untagged 8 growth Neofinetia falcata for 30.00 :( .

I actually think they smell more like coconut, but you hear both descriptions. And they are strong, but for the most part only at night. They are polinated by a moth, and they have a long nectary on the flower. They are standard white, but there are color variations like pink, green and yellow.

$30 for a noid Neo is a good deal, but it was probably a standard fuuran or amami island variation. You can get the standard form from many different vendors.

I would take Vanilla. And I would take green. And I would take Neos or Pleuros or..... and and and..... haha!!!

Oh, I just got a slipper orchid of some sort. It's a NOID. I bought a plant from a lady and she added 4 other orchids to fill space LOL!!! I LOVE her! One surprised me because, well, I can tell it's a slipper orchid because of the dark fuzzy roots. And because the bottom of the leaves has the purply marbly sort of look. But the leaves surprise me. I don't know what kind of slipper it is. There are plenty of leaves that grow and look like Onc. leaves. They are softer than the Onc. I have though. I would love to get this to bloom so I have a clue.

Ohh the work.....

Paph1.jpg

Paph2.jpg

Paph.jpg

Sorry I already potted it so you can't see the roots, but they are dark brown and look rotten lol. But all of my Paphs have roots like this. They are fuzzy. And the roots grow down / tall instead of full and around...

Welcome aboard! I too am a little obsessed with the tiny, non-slippers but haven't funded many lately.

Vanilla and coconut Neos?? All mine smell like the white candy sticks that came with the three pouches of differently flavored candy powder(what were those called??...man I loved those). My higashidemiyako does kinda smell more like jasmine though.

Jon

EDIT: Lik-m-Stiks Fun Dip and they still make them!! Time to go and find them...
________
FORD SCORPIO SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:
Lick A Sticks or something like that
We have some downstairs. That is a good smell. I don't like the sugars, but those sticks were really great hehe!!
Thanks for the welcome :)

Jon in SW Ohio said:
Vanilla and coconut Neos?? All mine smell like the white candy sticks that came with the three pouches of differently flavored candy powder(what were those called??...man I loved those).
Jon
Jon, they were called fundips. I loved them too.

Hi Kirstie!
More on you in a sec...first the fun-dips! lol!

There is place in Rehoboth, Deleware. We go there every labor day (actually the trip totally sucks, it is always hurricane season and it never fails that one of my friends is under some terrible wrath and I have next to no internet access. Suck....rant over!) Anyway, Rehoboth - the place specializes in all that old penny candy we all used to get. Including fun-dips, and Mary Janes and Bit-O-Honey (I love those!) and all the weirdo stuff. That's the only place I've seen them in years.

Mmmm frozen charleston chews......

Oh right - Kirstie! Welcome!

Here is one of those funny, how-did-you-meet stories. Several months ago someone emailed me about the plants I was selling, I think she found me on OSF. We had this long conversation (and I also knew of her from the RVO forum (but I was pretty incommunicado at the time for obvious reasons). I have had a long and rather sordid history over there for a few years - I know we have a few members here who are over there also and you should be aware I've had a few username changes (which the administrators are well aware of and actually enabled) - I'm "Annie" now but was "Heather" over there...I guess you could say I was re-incarnated for the better...?) anyway she didn't know me. Then we re-connected at the Orchidboard forum a few weeks ago (dang, I get around, huh?), and talked about her going to the NHOS meeting in June.

So we both went, and talked and had in depth conversations with Glen Decker, and about my Mexipedium. And never realized until we both got home that we should have known who we were talking to!

Another reason for a photos thread (though mine has been posted already and is in my profile.) For heavens sake if you ever see me please introduce yourself!

Last edited:
If you guys want fun dip, candy cigarettes, bubblegum cigars, pop rocks, ice cubes, rain-blo or any number of other candies that you may have forgot existed, head here...

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

My wife and I ordered the "Child of the 70's and 80's" collections and ate candy we haven't had in 20 years. It was awesome. I have never had a Zots before, but they are awesome.

river valley orchidworks. im on there as well.

heather - are you talking about dolle's or candy kitchen? ive got a place down in rehoboth, and also hit the main drag's candy shops on occasion. gotta love the kohr brothers soft-serv and dolle's caramel popcorn :D

Yeah i think the personal photos thing would be a pretty good idea too. ill have to mosy over there and check it out, maybe post something. maybe well run into eachother in rehoboth some time!

Wogga said:
heather - are you talking about dolle's or candy kitchen? ive got a place down in rehoboth, and also hit the main drag's candy shops on occasion. gotta love the kohr brothers soft-serv and dolle's caramel popcorn :D

hmm, I don't think either - it is a shop that has a lot of games from the past also - you can get silly putty and things there. I have NO clue what the name is!

Our friends have a house near Dewey Beach. Would be fun to meet you sometime!

Uh, ok, so, do I have to start the photo thread again? People are going to think me vain... someone else should start it please?

Hey don't forget the pixie sticks! I still have them once in a while they give the best sugar rush :rollhappy:

Tikva that's one healthy plant you got there. Kinda like the candy in the secret wrapper cause you don't know what's inside. But you got one with a gold wrapper! It looks like it might be a multifloral. :clap:

Make sure to post pictures when the no-ids bloom. I'd love to take a crack and guess what it could be.

Latest posts

Back