Tips and Words of Wisdom for Newbies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont allow children in your greenhouse, lest they come home with a handful of cool tags they found.

Don't forget that most books are written for people with greenhouses...and you don't have one and you have to grow under completely different conditions...and, besides, you can't afford the plants mentioned in those books anyway.....Eric

I'd think twice about buying from a vendor who says you can rebloom a dendrobium nobile type or big vanda in a north window in Michigan!

Remember ALL of your cultural conditions are intertwined. Change one thing, and all the others will change too (even if it's just slightly).

Someone said something about drinking too much and repotting- there is certainly a happy medium!!! Know your limits and designate a sober repotter just in case.

-Ernie

Bob Gordon recommends a bottle of white wine when repotting phals; is there a prefered wine for paphs or phrags? Different for each?

My wife and I are really hooked on Wollerscheim's (?spelling) Prairie Fume thanks to the Orchid Growers Guild in Madison. They used to give this as their judges gift. I always grab a bottle or two on the way home from the Milwaukee and Green Bay shows.

-Ernie

li'l frog said:
Bob Gordon recommends a bottle of white wine when repotting phals; is there a prefered wine for paphs or phrags? Different for each?

tequila, lots and lots of tequila

I think joining the local orchid society can be a good source of orchid mentors.

I also like Tuto Peru's advice about starting with mature plants, not just because the older plants are generally tougher, but you can ease into the patience requirements easier if you have a handful of blooms to enjoy while you are waiting years for the seedings to bloom.

Yes, but never let a stubborn society convince you there is only one way to grow orchids, his way. Many OSs have those.

bwester said:
Yes, but never let a stubborn society (member? I think you forgot a word there...) convince you there is only one way to grow orchids, his way. Many OSs have those.

I tried to insert myself into a conversation about new vs. old prime agra tonight at my society meeting and was told a) "rubbish", and b) "who cares, I don't grow anything sensitive enough to worry about ph, and I'm too old".

Then, they asked if anyone had done controlled experiments (besides Ray) to which I replied, "why yes, with kovachii", to which they replied "who did them? and what'd they expect with kovachii?" (implied - nothing but trouble!)

Um, sorry Lance, but no one out here has heard of you ....cept me, and maybe Brian (likespaphs) but well, he wasn't around to step up at just that moment. Damn OS Presidents...always running off on you....(oh, and congrats, MOS has a new Prezzy tonight! :clap: Not that I'd really wish the job on anyone....) :)

Seriously though, Harry from Andy's gives a good talk, even tho I had to cut out early, and the past President asked me how I was blooming Mexipedium when Wilford Neptune couldn't.
That was nice. Apparently the good Dr. Neptune isn't neglecting his enough.

fine with me, I warned everyone. When their plants start dying they'll see the light oh too late. And then wonder why no one warned them.

stake your inflorescences when traveling with plants (be it to shows, society meetings, or just when driving them around to show them off). those lovely blooms could be broken off if you hit a big bump...

Back