• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tinh Nghia Orchids Nursery

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
Orchids Nursery in Lai Chau

Attachments

• TN2.jpg
    TN2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 99
  • TN3.jpg
    TN3.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 95
  • TN4.jpg
    TN4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 90
  • TN5.jpg
    TN5.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 90
Looks like blooming time!! Good to see the plants are potted up and not dead on a market floor, thank you!!!!

Paph. emersonii

Attachments

• Hangianum 2.jpg
    Hangianum 2.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Hangianum 1.jpg
    Hangianum 1.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Hangianum.jpg
    Hangianum.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 59
Imagine how beautiful the natural location was, where the grew before they were collected...

Thanks for the pics. So many blooms to choose from LOL.

The leaves look a little bit rough (bruised and marked) for some. Are they nature sourced or seed grown?

I have a certain amount of apprehension about
wild collected orchids, but in some countries
that's the only way the plants will survive. I
have rescued orchids in Borneo that were being
bulldozed by lumber companies. The collection
was, in fact, illegal.

Well...as long as we look at them and are interested and advertise the prices, they will collect them and bring them to the market....when we stop beiing interested, they will stop beiing collected....thousands die on that market floor

The issue with wild orchid collection wildly changes based on perspective. Befores the CITES came about, anyone of of us could have gone to the jungles and torn plants out of the native habitats and brought them home with us thousands of miles away. And this of course had happened.

After the embargo and trade restrictions of CITES, we suddenly became educated people and law abiding citizens, judging all those who trespass these rules as outlaws and evil. Even those natives in orchid countries that collect them to support their familes are judged unfavorably by us.

To be fair, looking at both sides of the coin, one must look at the mirror before we cast stones of moral and ethical judgement on these natives, nurseries and orchid smugglers.

If these natives did not collect the inaccessible plants in areas unknown to us, how would we have new forms and species that most of us have right now in our collection (albeit F1s or later). Plants like vietnamense and its hybrid HCM are ALL illegal outside of Vietnam. Others include hangianums and tranlieanums to name a few.

If it wasn't for nurseries like the one mentioned in this post, who save the plants from dying in the markets, nurture them back to health to flower, then to breed the selected best to sell to relay nurseries in Taiwan and Europe, how would one emersonii end up in each of your collections?

If it wasn't for outlaws to pave the ways to discover, transport and describe new species, how would we know what a rungsuriyanum is?

Don't get me wrong. I am a conservationist. But I am also reasonably logical and not fooled by rules and regulations that prevent orchids from being saved from deforestations, bulldozers and over-zealous collecting by unscrupulous non-natives.

There has to be changes to the laws to allow flexibility for saving our beloved.

The issue with wild orchid collection wildly changes based on perspective. Befores the CITES came about, anyone of of us could have gone to the jungles and torn plants out of the native habitats and brought them home with us thousands of miles away. And this of course had happened.

After the embargo and trade restrictions of CITES, we suddenly became educated people and law abiding citizens, judging all those who trespass these rules as outlaws and evil. Even those natives in orchid countries that collect them to support their familes are judged unfavorably by us.

To be fair, looking at both sides of the coin, one must look at the mirror before we cast stones of moral and ethical judgement on these natives, nurseries and orchid smugglers.

If these natives did not collect the inaccessible plants in areas unknown to us, how would we have new forms and species that most of us have right now in our collection (albeit F1s or later). Plants like vietnamense and its hybrid HCM are ALL illegal outside of Vietnam. Others include hangianums and tranlieanums to name a few.

If it wasn't for nurseries like the one mentioned in this post, who save the plants from dying in the markets, nurture them back to health to flower, then to breed the selected best to sell to relay nurseries in Taiwan and Europe, how would one emersonii end up in each of your collections?

If it wasn't for outlaws to pave the ways to discover, transport and describe new species, how would we know what a rungsuriyanum is?

Don't get me wrong. I am a conservationist. But I am also reasonably logical and not fooled by rules and regulations that prevent orchids from being saved from deforestations, bulldozers and over-zealous collecting by unscrupulous non-natives.

There has to be changes to the laws to allow flexibility for saving our beloved.

that's one who can still think before writing.

Well, if I go out there, I will most likely pick a few good ones and don't touch single growth. That is the difference. The truth is, you can go there now and take all you want but what's the point.

Well, if I go out there, I will most likely pick a few good ones and don't touch single growth. That is the difference. The truth is, you can go there now and take all you want but what's the point.
Thanks Hakone. We must really look at all angles before we pass judgements.

Latest posts

Back