Time to change the light bulbs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dee

I don't know how often everyone else changes your overhead HPS/MH bulbs, also the tubes, but I do it every 6 months. Today the footcandles went up almost 500 fc with the change. So while I'm at it the filters get changed on the RO unit too. Would be interested to see how often everyone else changes theirs.

I only ever used the 48" tubes and most of my orchids prefer duller conditions, so every 6-8 months. I move the dimmer loving types to the ends of the tubes since this is where the light is less intense when they are new.
Hope I being helpful.:)
Barb.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrchidNorth said:
I only ever use the 48" tubes and most of my orchids prefer duller conditions, so every 6-8 months. I move the dimmer loving types to the ends of the tubes since this is where the light is less intense when they are new.
Hope I being helpful.:)
Barb.

I rotate my plants under tubes and the HPS/MH lights also, but I noticed such a difference in the fc measuring from the exact spot with old and new light bulbs. I do know that the tubes are really only good for about 6 months and they start getting black at the ends, so I start rotating plants and lowering the lights. I use 4 x 48" tubes and buy the kind with the highest lumens. I guess I'm really fussy!:)

:rollhappy: Right, I rotate plants under my lights too, but that's only because I can't remember where they were sitting before I watered them. It's good to be fusy when it comes to orchids.:)

I've always wondered if people actully do change light bulbs every 6 months.

Do old tubes and light bulbs go into the garbage or what do you do with them?

What I learned about fluorescent tubes is that the dimness of the bulbs isn't necessarily due to the bulbs' age. I was having flickering from one of my units, and an electrician changed the transformer. The same bulbs are now 8x 3 f/stops) brighter than they were before.

Change.

I haven't had my bulbs long enough to change them and I mostly count on the sun for light. I was home during the day for the first time in years and noticed how bright it is [and how warm - 80 degrees F.]. I had to change my R.O. filters after 6 months because they were so dirty and clogged. I'm keeping the dirty filter to sell to a R.O. filter firm so they can use it for advertising. :rollhappy: Hope this hels.

Wow....I change my 40w fluorescents after 14-18 months....true, they are off from mid May through mid Sept, but I am never in a rush. Can't honestly say that I have ever seen a decline in my plants due to fading bulbs...don't even notice the fading most of the time. I also have to change the PC bulbs on my reef tank, but can't afford to until well after the holidays...

Latest posts

Back