Tillandsias 2010

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been growing a nice collection of Tillandsias - some of them for more than 25 years.
This photos shows them hanging in their winter quarters behind our balcony window. The summer quarters is outside between April/May and October/November.

tillandsia_winterquartier.jpg

Tillandsia crocata / Argentinia, Bolivia, Brasilia, Uruguay
altitude 900 - 2700 m

tillandsia_crocata_1.jpg

tillandsia_crocata.jpg

Tillandsia albertiana / Argentinia (2 clones)

tillandsia_albertiana_1.jpg

tillandsia_albertiana.jpg

Tillandsia ixioides / Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentinia, Bolivia
altitude up to 2.200 m

tillandsia_ixioides_1.jpg

tillandsia_ixioides.jpg

I hope you like them though even if they arn't orchids.

Best regards from germany, rudolf

Lovely! :clap: I have been growing a couple Tillandsias for about ten years now. They have grown into very nice plants, although I wouldn't call them specimens as of yet. I recently decided to add a few more of them to my collection. It's amazing what is available these days! Lots of lots of very colorful hybrids and select forms of species!

Yay Tillandsias! I have quite a collection myself. Are the two large vertical ones on the right T. usenoides? How about the large one, middle bottom? I have one like that, but some are so similar, it is hard to tell them apart. Are a lot of yours fragrant? I have one - no name yet - that has the most amazing fragrance! Super easy plants to grow. No pot, just light and water!

Yay Tillandsias! I have quite a collection myself. Are the two large vertical ones on the right T. usenoides? How about the large one, middle bottom? I have one like that, but some are so similar, it is hard to tell them apart. Are a lot of yours fragrant? I have one - no name yet - that has the most amazing fragrance! Super easy plants to grow. No pot, just light and water!
Yes the two large 'pigtails' on the right are three clones of T. usneoides. I've been growing the clone on the very right for more 25 years. The two other clones that form the other 'pigtail' are much younger.
The big cluster at the bottom of the third chain from the right is T. caliginosa. This one is very close to the pictured T. crocata. The disadvabtage of that 'beast' is, it dosn't open its flowers at at all. It's self fertile and pollinates itself even when the flowers are in bud.:(
Yes many of them are fragrant and I confirm they are showy and very easy to grow.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

I had to come out of "lurking mode" to tell you just how spectacular I think your collection is--not that you don't know that! I love tillandsias and am always looking to add more.

If you had to name a top five or so with fragrance in mind, what would they be?...

Latest posts

Back