Tillandsia?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tillandsia do not get treated like the "vase" bromeliads. Definitely no water in the crown....Mount them (they look great grouped together...) at an angle, so water will always pour out of the crown. Mist them every day, or whenever you remember to....if possible, put them outdoors in the summer. If you like, you can occasionally mist them with a fertilizer solution (I use MSU), or pour some over them when they are outdoors and can dry quickly. Tillandsia's can't absorb anything from the roots...all moisture and fertilizer is absorbed through scales on the leaves. Blooms look great, but the growth dies afterwards, followed by more growths...typical bromeliad fashion. Take care, Eric

Do you have tillandsias or some other type of bromeliad? If they are tillies, what kind are they? Tillies are generally sprayed or dunked. Some (fuzzy thick silvery types) are prone to rot if grown too wet or humid. I was told that they should feel dry 3-4 hrs after watering. The others basically like humid and air movement. Foliar feed regularly. The roots are mostly for staying put on tree tops than for absorbing nutrients or water. Of course, it's best to know something about the habitat of each species.

Bird Rock's culture tips. Rainforest Flora's culture tips. Some info about xeric types from bromeliad.org.au.

oh! Uh oh!!!

Glad I asked. So foliar misting not watering in the crown. That's good to know.

What sort of mix are they usually potted in tho? We're getting them just from the Boston flower market so they come to us potted and we're re-selling them that way. Often there are three blooming plants per pot.

Yikes! HELP!!
I need to know how to sell, and suggest culture for people to keep them alive in this state!

edit- this sort of thing but orange/red:
http://nature.jardin.free.fr/image4/rg_tillandsia_cyanea.jpg

Heather, for the most part they can be potted in a fast draining mix, or a loose bark mix. Indirect bright light, warm. Humid in the way that a phal or AV likes humid. (in other words, they can do without for a while...) If they come potted, they may be a type that can have somewhat functional roots when potted, so watering and feeding through the roots may work.

Are you sure they are tillandsias? If you're not sure, then take a look at some pics of the other brom genera.

Tillandsia cyanea is usually sold potted...that's the one with the pretty fan shaped pinky/purple flowers. They may be the only Tillandsia that is grown in that fashion, in pots...that's probably what you are getting....Not sure if that is really the proper culture for them, but they always seem to be sold that way...Take care, Eric

If it's cyanea, don't worry about it. So long as you avoid cold and wet, it should be fine. In a relatively humid warm environment, it will go for months without misting or watering before it croaks. Kinda like a phal. (she says dismissively.)

There's this whole other thing about forcing broms to bloom... if the idea is to sell them off quickly. :evil: (of course, once it blooms, it won't bloom again until the offsets are big enough to bloom....)

I don't pot or mount tillandsias. I just toss them on top of another plant's pot or basket and hit them with the hose when watering everything else. I've never had much luck with T. cyanea producing new growths after blooming, but only tried one that came potted. I'd say just spray them every day or every other day and water once a week or once the mix dries out between waterings. Medium to high light, and fairly tolerant humidity wise as long as they get their sprayings.

Jon

ok, thanks. That gives me some things to suggest to the owners (who bought them cause they were red, for V-day I think, lol!) I'd like to see them actually sell!

I am only there about 4 hours a week, but they think of me as the "orchid expert" so I can probably give them a bit of advice on these too. And I do the watering when I am there so I want to know I am doing the right thing! (Yeah, I wasn't! Something to aspire to!!)

Latest posts

Back