Tillandsia umbellata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elena

At the moment my only non-orchid plant, I just couldn't resist those flowers. It seems quite happy in my grow room so I suppose it could be considered an honorary orchid of sorts :D

TU.jpg

Wow. Really blue flower. BTW don't worry about it being a non-orchid. Soon the idiotas involved in the current reclassification orgy will probably include it in an orchid family! :mad:

Suppose it could pass for a Disa or something :rollhappy:

The colour is a tiny bit off, it's a little more purple than that but still more blue than a lot of other 'blue' flowers.

Thanks guys! It has two bracts and has since opened 3 more flowers. I've never grown any Tillandsia/Airplant/Bromeliad before so I'm finding it fascinating, the flowers pop up and open very fast.

Fragrant Tillandsias sound wonderful.

that's wonderful elena! I've had a tillandsia cyanea for about a month now and it's doing well. it's been flowering for well over a month and is showing no sign of stopping.

Do you know how i feed it? i mean it's in compost at the moment, very well drained and i mist it every morning with rain water.

I was wondering when and how do i feed it. Can i apply seaweed fertilizer to it's leaves? or do i have to dilute it first and thn apply?

thanks!

Well, I really am not an expert but I mist mine every day and once a week give it a good, heavy shower followed by a misting of weak-ish orchid fertilizer solution. It seems happy with that. I found very little/no culture advice for umbellata on the internet (most sources just said to treat it like cyanea) but I figured you can't go wrong with weakly/weekly :D

If there are any Bromeliad experts on here willing to chime in then I'd appreciate any advice.

excellent! ok. I'm thinking of mounting mine in a few weeks and putting it in an old fish tank with some other bits and bobs.

Latest posts

Back