tigrinum flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never grown them from flask but I would sure love to see a picture when you get the flask.

At the paph forum last February, Pernar Holger said they have much better success by going through four stages: mother (germination) flask>replate 1>replate 2> compot. Apparently a very slow, gradual transition is better.

The survivors won't be hard to grow, but it how many will survive. I have talked to Glen Decker alot about Tigrinum flasks. He says out of all his flasks he loses half at deflasking and another half at first repotting. Then the ones that live grow very well. Perner Holger said he has protocorms die in flask in mass numbers. He worked out some kind of three step flasking process that has helped but not stopped the problem. I still think it has something to do with the seasonal changes and everything that comes along with that(temp, water,nutrients, ect) where tigrinum lives. They experience a cool dry winter, with probably low nutrients and they don't get that in flask. I remember someone telling me tigrinum grows near dendrobium noblie. That says alot.

they are supposed to be extremely difficult to establish out of flask

I was always told the same thing.I figured it was easier to spend the money on a nice BS plant instead of wasting my money and time dealing with that headache.

I had no luck myself. Sam told me he can't grow them from flask. He also told me he would sell the flasks for more but doesn't because he knows how high the mortality rate will be.

I started out with 2 tiny seedlings (came bareroot) in 2003 or so. Almost killed them both several times. One is now a multigrowth plant that just blasts, and the other is down to a small single growth (again). But I still have them both.:eek: Until the last few years they were prone to Erwinia. When they were little they were prone to root rot. Growth rate and leaf size/quality has improved dramitically since K lite. My big one is also in a basket with roots poking out the sides.

I think these are a clasic low K species. Scott Ware (I believe) has had some flasks of these do great and some ..... not so great.

Try with either no fertilizer or very low application of KLite.

I had no luck myself. Sam told me he can't grow them from flask. He also told me he would sell the flasks for more but doesn't because he knows how high the mortality rate will be.

For $250, I think it's still expensive. I guess one is paying for the rarity of it. I would like to try to grow it warm given the chance but I don't think I could spend $250 for an experiment as of right now.

Wish the best of luck for ehanes though. I thought the seedlings were a bit small and might still need a 2-3 months prior to deflasking. Please keep us updated though.

For $250, I think it's still expensive. I guess one is paying for the rarity of it. I would like to try to grow it warm given the chance but I don't think I could spend $250 for an experiment as of right now.

Wish the best of luck for ehanes though. I thought the seedlings were a bit small and might still need a 2-3 months prior to deflasking. Please keep us updated though.

i am guessing they will be ready in december

So if they were ready in december, I would leave them in bottle till about March. That way when you take them out and start watering they would be on track seasonally. When they are deflasked late fall or winter and you try to establish them in thier dry season I think the mortality rate is higher. My tigrinums seem to lose roots and do poorly when I watered and/or kept them warm in winter. Keep them cool and dry in winter they explode in spring and don't blast. Just my opinion.

So if they were ready in december, I would leave them in bottle till about March. That way when you take them out and start watering they would be on track seasonally. When they are deflasked late fall or winter and you try to establish them in thier dry season I think the mortality rate is higher. My tigrinums seem to lose roots and do poorly when I watered and/or kept them warm in winter. Keep them cool and dry in winter they explode in spring and don't blast. Just my opinion.

Sounds like these seedlings needs alot of attention especially when they deflasked in winter. I would say keep it growing in warm temperature, more water, bright light. After it gets bigger and near mature size or putting out a new growth, it will want the natural cycle of high light, humid airy conditons and cool nights during the winter.

Paphman910

Back