Tibeticum species complex flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some tibeticum complex flowers blooming for Paul Perakos.

Cyp franchetti, partially open, with nice reddish veination:

CypfranchettiA.jpg

Here is another, fully open, with darker, purplish veination (this is a very common color for these flowers):

Cypfranchettifron.jpg

These are nicer franchetti's than the one I have.

Here is a Cyp tibeticum with very nice, subtle color. Paul took the photo as when I was there it was in the shade and the flash did not do it justice:

CYTibeticum05-16-07.jpg

Finally, I will call this a franchetti (it was purchased as franchetti) although the flower is more of the size of tibeticum or macranthos. It does have a hairy ovary like franchetti whereas tibeticum and macranthos are glabrous. Yunnanense also has a smaller flower and has an ovary that is glabrous or with a very few hairs. Cribb notes that franchetti often come with "off-white" flowers, which this certainly has. It is an interesting color pattern:

Cypunknown2.jpg

Ron Burch

SlipperFan said:
Really beautiful.

How many different Cyps does Paul have? He has an amazing collection.

Paul has been collecting Cyp's for more than 30 years - some of his original pubescens are monsters - he has a wooded back yard that is filled with them. He has large displays all around the house. I would have to estimate the number of species/varieties as more than 30 blooming size.

Ron

NYEric said:
Thanx for sharing. I was wondering how big they are though.

All of the tibeticum types bloom before the plant has fully matured for the season. The plants in the photos are all less than 6 inches high. After the flowers fade, they usually grow to 10 inches and sometimes a bit larger. Yunnanense (which I dont have so I have only read about it) is the member of the group that tends to bloom after the plant matures a bit.

Of my tibeticums, I have three blooming (see the "grape popsicle" post of last year on the "other" site). Each is about 4 inches tall. Two of them didnt bloom this year for whatever reason and they are about 8 inches tall. Later in the summer the ones that are blooming now will catch up with them in size.

Ron

Latest posts

Back