Three Spurs Are Better Than One!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photo, Mark????????

I'll get to it, Dot :poke: :p ...I've just been so busy. This week especially will be nuts! The buds are still small so I have plenty of time. :wink: I think the sun will come out this week and make for better photos anyway. :)

Great! keep us posted photographically. This is one of a number of neos on my wish list. Although I don't care for a lot of the rare and expensive neos, the ones I drool over are however mostly in this category ... damn! I got a Benikanzashi and lost the main growth, fortunately the smaller growth is doing well. I've seen it written that Manjyushage is the only three-spurred variety that is consistent and that both Benikanzashi and Hanakanzashi only sometimes produce three spurs ... is this true ?

Cheers,
Tim

I got a Benikanzashi and lost the main growth, fortunately the smaller growth is doing well. I've seen it written that Manjyushage is the only three-spurred variety that is consistent and that both Benikanzashi and Hanakanzashi only sometimes produce three spurs ... is this true ?

Cheers,
Tim

I've found that Benikanzashi is a very difficult plant. It simply doesn't want to thrive for me. Hanakanzashi, on the other hand, is much more vigorous.

Yes, it is true that divisions of these two red-flowered varieties do not consistently produce three spurs on all the flowers all the time (and seedlings may never produce flowers with three spurs). Sometimes the flowers will be normal, sometimes some of them will have three spurs while others on the same plant will have two long spurs and one short spur, one long and one or two short spurs, or one normal spur and one or more tiny misplaced spurs. Sometimes the flowers will have only one spur but also look like they have some kind of shoulder pad thing going on. :rollhappy:

Seedlings of Manjyushage may or may not produce three spurs. My understanding is that true divisions of Manjyushage will consistently produce three-spurred flowers. I don't know about the mericlones. My plant is a division, and this is its first bloom. Another feature of Manjyushage which I quite like is the bright pink color of the root tips. It's almost as nice as that seen on Homeiden.

I did not know any Neos' had been cloned! I had heard a story that the Japanese really frowned upon cloning of their Neos, and that any who did so were threatened with their life! Maybe just urban legend.....!
Pete

I did not know any Neos' had been cloned! I had heard a story that the Japanese really frowned upon cloning of their Neos, and that any who did so were threatened with their life! Maybe just urban legend.....!
Pete

That's pretty standard practice from what I hear for some of them - the tiger leaf types in particular. That urban legend may not be totally untrue though, especially if Yakuza were involved.

Photo update! The buds continue to develop. :clap:

Photo with shadow
April262010050reduc.jpg

Detail from Photo with shadow
April262010050detail.jpg

Another view
April262010107reduc.jpg

And a gratuitous shot of 'Houmeiden' in bud :eek:
April262010120reduc.jpg

No doubt about it having 3 spurs! Very cool! I won't ask [what] you paid for it...
I remember seeing that division at OL when it first came in. From what I recall, the price was not too crazy, for a neo, that is;)
Tracy is correct. Honestly it wasn't terribly expensive...relatively speaking, for a Neo, that is. I have paid much more for a single Neo plant. :eek: Not that I enjoy paying high prices, especially these days in this economy :( but sometimes an addict's gotta do what an addict's gotta do. :rollhappy:

Beautiful photos, Mark. Thanks for making them.

What an interesting plant!

Thanks, Dot! :) I'm liking this plant more and more every day. :clap:

nice...although looking at neo photos make me depressed because i cant have any at the moment

Why can't you have any, Marco? :confused:

Today I was not "one with the camera", but in the interest of keeping everyone up to date, here are the crappy photos I managed to take:

The 'Manjyushage' buds continue to develop. It looks like the first one is about ready to open.
May022010Manjyushagebuds.jpg

The violet-pink coloration of the flower pedicels on 'Houmeiden' almost seem to glow!
May022010colorsHoumeidenspike.jpg

Yay, neo species!

I noticed the top white leaf on your Houmeiden is partially "closed". Does it do that a lot? I ask because many of mine with the very white variegation (Jitsugekkou, Akebono, Koen, Kansetsu and Houmeiden) seem to do that. I don't know if it's the light issue or what?? I know it must be my own culture because they did not do that when I first got them.

Yay, neo species!

I noticed the top white leaf on your Houmeiden is partially "closed". Does it do that a lot? I ask because many of mine with the very white variegation (Jitsugekkou, Akebono, Koen, Kansetsu and Houmeiden) seem to do that. I don't know if it's the light issue or what?? I know it must be my own culture because they did not do that when I first got them.

Good question! I don't know the answer :rollhappy: As far as I can remember, the leaves on my 'Houmeiden' (as on many of my Neos) come out partially closed and as they mature they open more fully. The only plant with which I have problems with the leaves staying mostly closed forever is 'Seikai'. It baffles and frustrates me. :mad:

It opened! The scent is intensely jasmine-sweet. :) I don't seem to be able to capture any decent photographs in the past few days. :mad: I'll try again tomorrow to get something better. But for now...
May032010openManbr.jpg

Back