Three Spurs Are Better Than One!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Neofinetia falcata, variety 'Manjyushage' is spiking with three buds. The division is very small so I feel quite lucky to get any flowers at all on it this year. :) I think I can finally see now that all of the buds are developing three spurs as they should be. :drool: The buds and their spurs are awfully tiny at the moment, but I still managed to capture a glimpse of the "action" just in case any of you are interested.

april152010038.jpg

april152010044.jpg

Nice! I have a Nishidemiyako that bloomed with 2 spurs on one of the growths last year. I'm waiting to see if the spike on that same growth this year does the same thing. Weird.

Good photo!
"Crazy Neo people!"

Thanks! It's hard getting those macro shots, NYEric :p

Nice! I have a Nishidemiyako that bloomed with 2 spurs on one of the growths last year. I'm waiting to see if the spike on that same growth this year does the same thing. Weird.

Wow! How unexpected! You got two spurs on a 'Nishidemiyako' ?! :drool: Sweet! Do let us know if it happens again this year! I have a 'Soubiryuu' which is supposed to get two lips and two spurs, but it is not consistent from one year to the next.

neat!
hmmm peloric...

It really is neat! :) ...and worth every penny! :rollhappy: Now if I could just get my two 'Hanakanzashi' plants to bloom out this year with three spurs on the flowers I'd be a happy camper! :clap:

You must be very pleased, Mark! I look forward to seeing the full bloom.

Indeed I am very pleased! The three little buds are coming along very nicely. It looks like there might be a fourth one attempting to develop but I'm not optimistic about its chances. 'Homeiden' is spiking now, too, as is 'Unkai'. :) I'll have to drag out the camera and get busy pretty soon. :p

Do you know if Manjyushage has pollen?? Or is it sterile, like Shunkyuuden? If it DOES have pollen, are you interested in selling some of that pollen? My Kuro Shinjyu is in spike again this year and so is my Benkeimaru. So I was hoping to do some experimenting.:wink:

Very cool...is this a seedling? or a division of the original plant? I have 1 seedling but is yet to bloom. I'm not even sure if they come true to seed or not!
Pete

Very cool...is this a seedling? or a division of the original plant? I have 1 seedling but is yet to bloom. I'm not even sure if they come true to seed or not!
Pete

Hey Pete, are you sure you have a seedling and not a mericlone? The last couple years mericlones of these have been flooding the market here in Japan. Everybody is waiting and wondering if they will flower true. I picked up a couple nice ones in Tokyo this February. Let's hope they don't have normal flowers!

Do you know if Manjyushage has pollen?? Or is it sterile, like Shunkyuuden? If it DOES have pollen, are you interested in selling some of that pollen? My Kuro Shinjyu is in spike again this year and so is my Benkeimaru. So I was hoping to do some experimenting.:wink:

This is my first bloom on this plant. I have no idea if it will have pollen :eek: and I have no knowledge or experience in collecting or preserving its viability. I simply grow a lot of Neos 'cause I like them so very much. :eek: Does removing pollen destroy the flower? Can pollen be mailed? :eek: You have Benkeimaru?! :drool: I was just trying to get one of those but no such luck...

Pete

This is a division from Jason Fischer. :)

The last couple years mericlones of these have been flooding the market here in Japan. Everybody is waiting and wondering if they will flower true. I picked up a couple nice ones in Tokyo this February. Let's hope they don't have normal flowers!

You are soooooo lucky to have such great access to so many varieties of Neofiinetia falcata!

Last edited:
... Does removing pollen destroy the flower? Can pollen be mailed? :eek: You have Benkeimaru?! :drool: I was just trying to get one of those but no such luck...

No damage is caused to the flower if you are careful, but removing pollen can make a flower fade faster. Removing just half the pollen may limit that. In most species pollen can easily be mailed. Just make sure it doesn't stay too moist. Airtight = wet = rot.

This is a division from Jason Fischer. :)

No worries then, that's the real deal!

You are soooooo lucky to have such great access to so many varieties of Neofiinetia falcata!

Yes, it is pretty easy to get Japanese plants - now accessing North American plants is another issue altogether!

Latest posts

Back